Measuring Efficiency of Fuels with Physics, Chemistry and Biology

In summary, the conversation involves a group working on a project involving physics, chemistry, and biology. The chemists will be conducting an experiment to measure the enthalpy of combustion of three different fuels, while the physicist's task is to measure the efficiency of the fuel using the energy input and output. They discuss using the heat energy from the flame and measuring the temperature increase of the water to calculate the energy released and using the Specific Heat Capacity calculation. They also mention seeking help and receiving confirmation on their approach from rock.freak667.
ProPM
Hi,

I am working on this project that has to involve physics, chemistry and biology.

The chemists in my group will be performing an experiment to measure the enthalpy of combustion of three different fuels: alcohol, diesel and petrol.

My task as a physicist is to, using their results, measure the efficiency of the fuel. I've never learned this in class so I am a bit lost...

I have to work with the energy I put in and the energy given out when burning the fuel. (The experiment is like this one: http://www.ausetute.com.au/heatcomb.html)

I have no idea if any of this is correct, but this is what I thought:
So, the energy put in would be the heat energy from the flame and the energy released I could find by checking by how much the temperature of the water increased, and then use the Specific Heat Capacity calculation?

I don't know... I am a bit lost. Can anyone please help me/point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ProPM said:
I have no idea if any of this is correct, but this is what I thought:
So, the energy put in would be the heat energy from the flame and the energy released I could find by checking by how much the temperature of the water increased, and then use the Specific Heat Capacity calculation?

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what you'd have to do.

Wow, cool thanks rock.freak667!

Peter G. said:
Wow, cool thanks rock.freak667!

Were you trying to the same experiment?

Um? Sorry I didn't get that.

What is the importance of measuring efficiency of fuels?

Measuring efficiency of fuels is important because it allows us to determine the amount of energy that is being converted into useful work. This information can help us make informed decisions about which fuels to use and how to optimize their use.

What physics principles are involved in measuring efficiency of fuels?

The efficiency of fuels can be measured using principles of thermodynamics, which involve the study of energy and its transformations. This includes concepts such as heat transfer, work, and energy conservation.

How does chemistry play a role in measuring efficiency of fuels?

Chemistry is important in measuring efficiency of fuels because it involves the study of the chemical reactions that take place during combustion. By understanding the chemical composition of fuels and the reactions that occur, we can determine the amount of energy released and its efficiency.

What role does biology play in measuring efficiency of fuels?

Biology plays a role in measuring efficiency of fuels through the study of biofuels. Biofuels are produced from organic materials such as plants and algae, and their efficiency is measured by studying their chemical composition and the biological processes involved in their production.

What are some methods for measuring efficiency of fuels?

There are several methods for measuring efficiency of fuels, including calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat released during combustion, and gas chromatography, which separates and analyzes the components of a fuel. Other methods include mass spectrometry, thermal conductivity measurements, and energy balance calculations.