Biology, Economics, Computing or French

In summary, if you want to study a fifth subject, you might enjoy studying French. However, you don't need to worry too much about the entry requirements as you will be able to study maths, physics and chemistry on their own.
rollcast
I'm not really sure what I want to do after A level yet but I've sort of narrowed it down to Physics, EE, ChE, or Materials Sci. (OK its not that narrowed down)

I've worked out that if I take:

Maths
Further Math
Physics
Chemistry

That I should be covered for any of those 4 courses but I still I have another subject to pick and the choices I have are:

Biology
Computing
Economics
French

I would be happy enough to take any of those subjects but I was wondering if anyone could advise me if any of those 4 would jump out as being really useful for any of the courses I meantioned above?

Thanks
A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Computing or bio

The four subjects you chose might end up being quite demanding. I find it odd that your college requires five subjects at AS. I thought that four was the norm and an additional fifth could be done upon request.

In terms of use for your course, I can imagine that knowing some biology would be useful. As would French, in case you want to do a "with a year in Europe/France" variant of your degree. Universities offering that option seem to require a good grade at AS-Level on the relevant language.

Mépris said:
The four subjects you chose might end up being quite demanding. I find it odd that your college requires five subjects at AS. I thought that four was the norm and an additional fifth could be done upon request.

At my school maths and further maths are only counted as one AS subject because you do all of AS and A2 maths in 1 year and then do the remaining modules for further maths in your second year.

In terms of use for your course, I can imagine that knowing some biology would be useful. As would French, in case you want to do a "with a year in Europe/France" variant of your degree. Universities offering that option seem to require a good grade at AS-Level on the relevant language.

rollcast said:
At my school maths and further maths are only counted as one AS subject because you do all of AS and A2 maths in 1 year and then do the remaining modules for further maths in your second year.

Nevertheless, it's still more work!

Don't worry too much about it. The entry requirements for the degrees you mentioned above are usually fulfilled by mathematics, physics and chemistry alone! So, pick whatever fifth subject you think you would enjoy most. As I said, I'd prefer to study a language as it would be useful to study/live in Europe *and* it will serve as a nice break from the other subjects. Figure out what you'd like. No one can choose for you.

I love the time I spend learning bits and pieces of history to complement the study of my French literature texts. That's not to say that I don't like mathematics and physics! :-) :-)

What is biology?

Biology is the scientific study of living organisms and their interactions with each other and their environment. It covers a wide range of topics, including genetics, evolution, ecology, and physiology.

What is economics?

Economics is a social science that studies how individuals, businesses, and governments make decisions regarding the allocation of resources. It includes topics such as production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services.

What is computing?

Computing, or computer science, is the study of computers and computational systems. It involves the design, development, and use of software and hardware to solve problems and process information.

What is French?

French is a Romance language spoken by over 220 million people worldwide. It originated in France and is also an official language in many countries, such as Canada, Switzerland, and Belgium.

How are biology and economics related?

Biology and economics are related in various ways, such as through the study of how biological factors influence economic decisions and outcomes. For example, the field of behavioral economics looks at how human behavior, which is influenced by biology, affects economic choices and markets.