1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology - why do plants and algal have cell wall?

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suggest a hypothesis to explain why algal and plant cells have cell walls. Suppose that mutant individuals from each group lacked a cell wall. How could you use these individuals to test your hypothesis?

2. Relevant equations

There aren't really...

3. The attempt at a solution

My hypothesis was that it was to adapt to the aquatic environment. ( I don't really know how to explain it, isn't the cell wall in algal to protect them from osmotic pressure? ). The way to test it I said was to use the Benedict's test for reducing sugar because there's polysaccharides in plants ( again, not sure but in the chloroplasts?). I was reading my book and I didn't find an answer anywhere for this

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Osmotic pressure happens because of the cell wall. No way an organism would evolve one to avoid it. Perhaps a thicker, more robust one.
    I would start along the lines of homeostasis and concentration gradients.

I believe you will find polysaccs in the cell walls of algae as well as the cytoplasm.

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3
    It is quite obvious that cell wall is to prevent cell membrane from bursting due to excess endosmosis... But why only the plant cells developed it and why not animal cells if it was an evolution over non walled membrane?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted