Biomedical engineering prospects?

In summary, a person is seeking advice on whether to pursue medicine or biomed engineering after finishing high school. They are currently inclined towards medicine but are unsure due to concerns about the size of the biomed engineering industry in Australia. They are looking for more information to make a decision.
GwtBc
Hey everyone. A friend of mine has recently finished high school and is unsure of whether she wants to pursue medicine or biomed engineering. She tells me that she's equally interested in both. However, she's currently inclined towards medicine, mainly because she has been told by certain people on certain forums that the biomed engineering industry, although growing, is very small, so her employment prospects would be grim. (This is in Australia BTW)

I mentioned several areas of current research, but to be honest I don't really know how big the industry is and how big it's going to be in 5 years ( she wants to get a masters), so I was looking for advice on the matter. Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right to think you need info specific to Austrailia, but I'm not sure we have any experts on Aussie biomed here.

There are enough common courses in the undergrad pre-med and biomed curricula that one does not really need to decide until scheduling second year college classes.

1. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines the principles of engineering and biology to develop solutions for medical and healthcare problems. It involves the application of engineering concepts and techniques to design, develop, and test medical devices, equipment, and treatments.

2. What are the job prospects for biomedical engineers?

The job prospects for biomedical engineers are excellent. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of biomedical engineers is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the increasing demand for medical devices and technologies, as well as the aging population.

3. What industries do biomedical engineers work in?

Biomedical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical device manufacturing, research and development, and academic institutions. They may also work in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and government agencies.

4. What skills are important for a career in biomedical engineering?

Some important skills for a career in biomedical engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, and excellent communication skills. Knowledge in engineering principles, biology, and medical sciences is also essential.

5. What is the potential salary for biomedical engineers?

The salary for biomedical engineers can vary depending on factors such as experience, education, location, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for biomedical engineers was $91,410 in May 2019. However, experienced professionals with advanced degrees can earn significantly higher salaries.