1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Body Net Heat Absorption Problem

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A naked person, whose skin area is 1.7 m2, sits in a sauna that has a wall
    temperature of 61oC. If the person’s skin temperature is 37oC, find the net rate at
    which the person absorbs heat by radiative transfer (assume an emissivity e of 1).
    How much liquid must the person consume after 30 minutes to replace the sweat
    evaporated as a result of this heat absorption. (assume the latent heat of vaporisation
    of sweat is 2427 kJ/kg at 37oC.

2. Relevant equations

Stefan-Boltzmann Law: P = e[tex]\sigma[/tex]AT4

3. The attempt at a solution

Plugging in the numbers and using the the temperature of the sauna walls and human body termperature to give the NET rate of absorption:

P = 1 x 5.67x10-8 x 1.7 x (614 - 374)
    = 1.15 W

Multiplying this power by the 30 minute time period will give the heat energy, Q, absorbed by the person:

P x t = 1.15 x 30 x 60 = 2077J

We are given the latent heat of vaporisation of sweat so dividing Q by this value will give the mass of water lost:

M = 2077 / 2427x103 = 0.9 g

This mass of water seems too small to be reasonable. Although this calculation will only give an approximate value I would nevertheless expect it to be above 10g at the very least. Having checked my calculation I cannot find any obvious mistakes, my only real doubt is my calculation of the net rate of absorption but I cannot see how else I would calculate this value.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.
    You need to use absolute temperatures here, not the °C values. The rest of your method looks pretty good, though note that water's heat of vaporization is around 2300 J/g, not 2300x103J/g.

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I made the absolute temperature correction and got 229g/229mL which seems much more reasonable.

Thanks again!

5. May 11, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome! Yup, 8 ounces, or a small glass of water, definitely reasonable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook