1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate body temperature increases given rate of heat transfer?

1. Apr 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you walk into a sauna that has an ambient temperature of 57.0°C. Calculate the rate of heat transfer to you by radiation given your skin temperature is 37.0°C, the emissivity of skin is 0.95, and the surface area of your body is 1.60 m2.

I solved this first part and found the answer to be 226W

If all other forms of heat transfer are balanced (the net heat transfer is zero), at what rate will your body temperature increase (degC/s) if your mass is 68.0 kg?

Note from instructor:

You can take the specific heat of the human body as:

c = 3500 J/kg*K

2. Relevant equations

Q = mC(ΔT)? Not entirely sure where to start really

m = mass
    C = specific heat
    ΔT = change in temperature

3. The attempt at a solution
    So if you multiple C by m and ΔT(in kelvin) you end up with units of Joules right?
    1 joule / 1 sec = 1 watt, I figure there is something I can do there, but I'm not sure what. The thing that is throwing me off is the units of degrees Celsius per second.

I've been staring at this problem for a couple hours and I'm sure I'm overlooking a very simple thing, any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your relevant equation is relevant. The Q does indeed stand for energy (in Joules).

The other equation you need is Power = Energy/Time.

Put the two equations together and rearrange so that on one side you have the quantities temperature and time as those are the units specified for the answer.

Sorry for all the edits I made to this repy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted