Rate body temperature increases given rate of heat transfer?

In summary, the task is to calculate the rate of heat transfer to a person in a sauna with an ambient temperature of 57.0°C, given their skin temperature is 37.0°C, emissivity of skin is 0.95, and body surface area is 1.60 m2. The solution for the first part is 226W. The next part is to determine the rate at which the person's body temperature will increase (in degC/s) if their mass is 68.0 kg, with the specific heat of the human body being 3500 J/kg*K. The relevant equations are Q = mC(ΔT) and Power = Energy/Time. By rearranging the equations,
CrashMaverick

Homework Statement

Suppose you walk into a sauna that has an ambient temperature of 57.0°C. Calculate the rate of heat transfer to you by radiation given your skin temperature is 37.0°C, the emissivity of skin is 0.95, and the surface area of your body is 1.60 m2.

I solved this first part and found the answer to be 226W

If all other forms of heat transfer are balanced (the net heat transfer is zero), at what rate will your body temperature increase (degC/s) if your mass is 68.0 kg?

Note from instructor:

You can take the specific heat of the human body as:

c = 3500 J/kg*K

Homework Equations

Q = mC(ΔT)? Not entirely sure where to start really

m = mass
C = specific heat
ΔT = change in temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

So if you multiple C by m and ΔT(in kelvin) you end up with units of Joules right?
1 joule / 1 sec = 1 watt, I figure there is something I can do there, but I'm not sure what. The thing that is throwing me off is the units of degrees Celsius per second.

I've been staring at this problem for a couple hours and I'm sure I'm overlooking a very simple thing, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equation is relevant. The Q does indeed stand for energy (in Joules).

The other equation you need is Power = Energy/Time.

Put the two equations together and rearrange so that on one side you have the quantities temperature and time as those are the units specified for the answer.

Sorry for all the edits I made to this repy.

1. How does the rate of heat transfer affect the rate of body temperature increase?

The rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the rate of body temperature increase. This means that the higher the rate of heat transfer, the faster the body temperature will increase. This is because heat is constantly being transferred from the environment to the body, and a higher rate of transfer means more heat is being absorbed by the body, leading to a faster increase in temperature.

2. What factors influence the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the body and the environment, the surface area of the body, the type of material the body is made of, and the presence of insulation or other barriers.

3. Can the rate of body temperature increase continue to increase indefinitely?

No, the rate of body temperature increase cannot continue to increase indefinitely. The body has natural mechanisms for regulating its temperature, such as sweating, shivering, and adjusting blood flow. These mechanisms work to maintain a consistent body temperature, even in the face of changing environmental conditions.

4. Is there a limit to how quickly the body can increase in temperature?

Yes, there is a limit to how quickly the body can increase in temperature. This limit is determined by the body's ability to dissipate heat through its natural cooling mechanisms. If the rate of heat transfer is too high, the body may overheat, leading to heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

5. How does the rate of heat transfer affect the body's response to changes in temperature?

The rate of heat transfer plays a crucial role in the body's response to changes in temperature. A high rate of heat transfer can cause the body to respond by increasing or decreasing blood flow, sweating, or shivering in order to maintain a stable internal temperature. A low rate of heat transfer, on the other hand, may not trigger these responses, leading to potential discomfort or danger if the external temperature is extreme.