Black hole - between horizon and singularity

In summary, the space between a black hole's event horizon and the singularity is largely considered to be a vacuum. However, there are theories such as the fuzzball string theory that propose the existence of "bits" or information stored at the horizon, potentially adding energy to the vacuum. The inside of a black hole is not completely empty, as any matter or energy that falls in will occupy a small region. However, the majority of the space inside is considered to be a vacuum, with the exception of potential information stored at the horizon.
arlesterc
What occupies the space between a black hole's event horizon and the singularity? Stuff hurtling to the singularity? Vacuum?

Space news on Phys.org
arlesterc said:
What occupies the space between a black hole's event horizon and the singularity? Stuff hurtling to the singularity? Vacuum?
Actually, nobody really knows. What goes on beyond the event horizon stays beyond the event horizon.

arlesterc said:
What occupies the space between a black hole's event horizon and the singularity?

Nothing. A black hole is a vacuum, i.e., it is empty space everywhere.

We can't see into a black hole. Whatever is in the black hole can't see us. That part seems to be clear to me. However as the surface of a black hole is conjectured to have all the bits in the black hole - in fact is the limit of the bits in the black hole - it seems there is something in the black hole other than vacuum. Stuff goes into and disappears to us but that doesn't mean it isn't there in some form. And it falls toward the singularity from my understanding. As the black hole is constantly absorbing stuff it seems a lot of stuff is making this trip. So even though the form this stuff takes as it hurtles to the singularity is not observable to us it seems to be something. So the black hole doesn't seem to be merely vacuum. I can see however that the black hole could have vacuum and vacuum energy - I don't see a reason why not - feel free to give me theories for or against this proposition. And given that,I can see that the stuff going into it could add energy to the vacuum. That it would do only that however is a little harder for me to understand as I feel from all that I have read that something is hurtling to the singularity/adding to the mass of the black hole. Again feel free to persuade me otherwise. Links are good as direct explanation - but they need to be at 'interested laymen with some physics and math background' level. Thanks for any further time with this.

arlesterc said:
We can't see into a black hole.

Correct.

arlesterc said:
Whatever is in the black hole can't see us.

Incorrect. Light can travel into the black hole just fine, so observers inside can see things outside. They just can't send light signals back out.

arlesterc said:
as the surface of a black hole is conjectured to have all the bits in the black hole - in fact is the limit of the bits in the black hole - it seems there is something in the black hole other than vacuum.

If something falls into the hole, obviously there is a tiny non-vacuum region occupied by that something. But the rest of the inside is still vacuum.

The (speculative) point you seem to be unaware of is that, in the quantum gravity models you are referring to, spacetime geometry itself has bits of information associated with it, even if it is vacuum, i.e., even if there is no matter or energy present. So the "bits" stored at the horizon are storing information about the (vacuum) spacetime geometry inside.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

What is the horizon of a black hole?

The horizon of a black hole is the point of no return, also known as the event horizon. This is the boundary surrounding the black hole where the gravity is so strong that even light cannot escape.

What is the singularity of a black hole?

The singularity of a black hole is a point of infinite density and zero volume at the center of the black hole. It is where the laws of physics as we know them break down and cannot be predicted.

What happens between the horizon and singularity of a black hole?

Between the horizon and singularity, the gravitational pull becomes increasingly stronger. This is where the space and time are so distorted that objects can experience extreme tidal forces and be stretched and torn apart.

Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, once an object crosses the horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. The intense gravity of the black hole will pull the object towards the singularity, where it will be crushed into a point of infinite density.