Black hole can regard as most efficency mass-energy convecter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for using black holes as efficient mass-energy converters. With the help of black holes and Hawking radiation, it is possible to convert an object, such as an apple, into pure energy. However, the energy obtained from Hawking radiation is not very useful. The conversation also mentions the idea of using a black hole drive to power future starships.
magnetar
Black hole can regard as most efficency mass-energy converter?

With black hole and hawking radiation's help, i come up with an idea to convert my apple completely into pure energy without another antimatter apple:biggrin:

I throw my apple into a black hole , eventually my apple will convert into hawking radiation—pure energy(particle and antiparticle will annihilate each other into photons).

The net result is my apple completely convert into pure energy!:tongue2:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy you get out of Hawking radiation is hardly 'pure' since it's pretty much as useless energy as you can find. For example, a human can easily use a fraction of the energy stored in an apple by eating it, but there's absolutely no way to build a machine which could utilize ANY energy stored in extremely cold thermal radiation.

And the correct word is "convert", not "convect".

1. How do black holes convert mass into energy?

Black holes convert mass into energy through a process called Hawking radiation. This occurs when virtual particles near the event horizon are split, with one particle falling into the black hole and the other escaping as radiation.

2. What is the efficiency of a black hole as a mass-energy converter?

The efficiency of a black hole as a mass-energy converter is 100%. This means that all of the mass that falls into the black hole is converted into energy through Hawking radiation.

3. Can black holes be used as a source of renewable energy?

No, black holes cannot be used as a source of renewable energy. While they are extremely efficient mass-energy converters, they require a constant supply of matter to sustain their energy output. Once a black hole consumes all of its surrounding matter, it will stop emitting Hawking radiation.

4. How much energy can be produced by a black hole?

The amount of energy produced by a black hole depends on its mass. The more massive the black hole, the more energy it can produce through Hawking radiation. For example, a black hole with the mass of the Sun could produce about 9 trillion gigawatts of energy.

5. Is it possible to harness the energy of a black hole?

Currently, it is not possible to harness the energy of a black hole. The technology and understanding needed to capture and utilize Hawking radiation is beyond our current capabilities. Additionally, the immense gravitational pull of a black hole would make it extremely dangerous for any spacecraft to approach it.