Black Holes and Hawking Radiation: The Time Dilation Paradox

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Orbb
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
I have a question concerning black holes and hawking radiation. I hope it is an adequate question and I pose it in the right section.

Consider a free-falling observer 1 approaching the event horizon of a black hole. Evaluating his proper time, one finds that he crosses the event horizon within finite time. For an asymptotic observer 2 however, the time it takes observer 1 to cross the event horizon is infinite. However, the time it takes for the black hole to evaporate due to Hawking radiation is finite. So observer 2 would see the black hole evaporate before observer 1 reaches the event horizon. Is that correct? And what would observer 1 see? The Universe, including the black hole accelerating in time so that the black hole vanishes in radiation before he can reach it?

Thank you for your answers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That answers my question perfectly, thank you very much!