Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Hawking radiation: pair production?

1. Dec 7, 2017 #1

haushofer

Science Advisor

Dear all,

I'm trying to understand the firewall controversy and the role of Hawking radiation in this. To make things concrete, I'll use the desciption of the firewall controversy of John Preskill here,

https://quantumfrontiers.com/2012/12/03/is-alice-burning-the-black-hole-firewall-controversy/

Here he states

My question is about the bolded line. Where are those "particles inside the horizon" coming from? Is Hawking-radiation necessarily pair-production of two real entangled particles, of which one goes inside and the other one escapes?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2017 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Yes.

4. Dec 7, 2017 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

Ok, I guess that conservation laws dictate pair production then.So what in the mechanism prevents both particles to radiate to infinity or be trapped by the horizon?

5. Dec 7, 2017 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

If they are both trapped or both radiated to infinity, then they cancel each other out so in this case nothing really happens. This is actually the most probable "event", but we only pay attention to the rare events in which something does happen.

Of course, the above is only an intuitive picture (not unlike a picture provided by Feynman diagrams and virtual particles) which should not be taken too seriously.

6. Dec 8, 2017 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

So what happens in the picture where the actual calculation is performed?

7. Dec 8, 2017 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

In the actual calculation there is no clear picture of "what really happens". You just calculate the probability density matrix far from the hole.

8. Dec 8, 2017 #7

Haelfix

Science Advisor

The original paper 'particle creation by black holes' is wonderfully readable and clear (its freely available if you google it) and imo more readable than many textbooks on the subject. That traces back the origin of the particles to outgoing and ingoing modes on some spacelike slice.

For the purposes of the firewall argument, what matters more isn't so much questions about the nature of the actual particles perse, but rather the pattern of entanglement. The fact that space inside and outside is split like in a bipartite quantum system and that a very special form of entanglement is necessary for having a vacuum state (Minkowski space).

For a very clear presentation of this decomposition, see
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.1231

But yes, as far as the original question goes. Having two particles escape to infinity or having them both fall in, can happen, but its not interesting or relevant for the Hawking effect.

9. Dec 12, 2017 at 4:50 AM #8

haushofer

Science Advisor

Due to social obligations I wasn't able to respond this weekend, but thanks for the answers everyone! I'll take a look at those Jerusalem lectures, and if I have any more question, I'll be back ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted