1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackbody radiation intensity find maximum

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By direct calculation, derive and expression for the wavelength λ(max) at which blackbody radiation intensity is a maximum

2. Relevant equations

Planck's law for the intensity distribution of blackbody radiation as a function of wavelength λ and the blackbody temperature T is given by

I(λ,T) = (2pi)hc^2/(λ^5)(e^((hc)/λkT) -1)

h is planck's constant 6.626 x10^(-34)
    k is blotzman constant 1.38066 x10^(-23)
    c is speed of light
    3. The attempt at a solution

(-5(2pi)(hc^2)λ^(-6))/(e^(hc)/(λkT) - 1) + λ^(-5)(2pi)(hc^2)(-1)(e^((hc)/(λkT)) -1)^(-2)((-hc)/(kTλ^2))

I used the product rule to get to the answer. I have not yet simplified I am wondering if I have even started the problem correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you arrive at your expression? And I don't see an equation, just an expression.

(Just show us your starting-off point, we don't need to see the gorty details.... )

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3
    I derived Planck's Law with respect to λ and treated T as a constant. My thoughts were that if I do this and find the derivative I can then set it equal to zero and this will give me an expression for λ(max)

5. Jun 6, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct, but I didn't see anything set to zero ... the rest is just 1st-year calculus. You may wind up with an implicit rather than an explicit expression for lambda_max.

6. Jun 7, 2012 #5
    Yeah the main idea is using the product rule, being careful to use the chain rule for that e. I recently did this problem in my own physics class. A good thing to do is simplify your expression by putting all the constants into one letter

a=hc/kt for example would be a good idea.

If you are frustrated and can't figure out why its not working, go to hyperphysics page: finding the blackbody peak. google it - i'd send you a link but pf won't let me till i have 10 posts

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook