1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Statistics) Blackbody spectrum in terms of wavelength?

1. Mar 26, 2016 #1
    This is a question about transforming a probability distribution, using the blackbody spectrum as an example.

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An opaque, non-reflective body in thermal equilibrium emits blackbody radiation. The spectrum of this radiation is governed by B(f) = af3 / (ebf−1) , where a and b are constants and f is the frequency of the emitted light. Work out the corresponding distribution of wavelengths B(λ) using f = c/λ .

The attempt at a solution
    I tried substituting f = c/λ into the given equation - which seemed like a good place to start - and came out with the following:
    ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1).
    Then when I looked up the actual spectrum in terms of wavelength (on HyperPhysics, here) it gives something else.
    This is the HyperPhysics formula:
    8πhc / λ5 ⋅ 1 / (ehc/λkT - 1)
    Comparing the constants in the frequency spectrum on HPhys with a & b in the formula in the question:
    a = 8πh / c3
    b = h / kT
    Which then turns my answer of ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1) into:
    8πh / c3 ⋅ c3 / λ3(ehc/λkT - 1)
    = 8πh / λ3 ⋅ 1 / (ehc/λkT - 1)

It looks like I'm out by a factor of c / λ2 compared to the 'real' wavelength spectrum - have I approached this the wrong way, or has the question just simplified the given formula in some way?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As a hint:

If f = c/λ, then what is the derivative, df/dλ ?

4. Mar 26, 2016 #3
    Ok, that's definitely got me thinking now :) I did some digging and found this formula for performing transformations of variables:
    f(x) = g(y)⋅dy/dx
    where I take it f(x) is the original form of the function, and g(y) is the function in the desired 'new' terms.

So in this case that would be B(f) = B(λ)⋅df/dλ... right? ***
    ⇒ B(λ) = B(f) / (df/dλ)

And as f = c/λ = c⋅λ-1 ⇒ df/dλ = -c/λ2 (is that correct?)

⇒ B(λ) = ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1) ⋅ -(λ2/c)
    = - ac2 / λ(ebc/λ - 1)

I've definitely gone wrong there, haven't I? :oldfrown: I can see that multiplying B(f) [= B(c/λ)] by df/dλ would get me to the formula I found on HPhys, but with a minus sign...?!

*** Edit *** Hang on, I can see I got dλ/df the wrong way around in B(f) = B(λ)⋅dλ/df above, which gives me:
    B(λ) = ac3 / λ3(ebc/λ - 1) ⋅ -(c / λ2)
    = - ac4 / λ5(ebc/λ - 1)
    Now the only thing bugging me is that minus sign - what's going on there?

Thanks so much for your comment, it's really pointed me in the right direction!

5. Mar 26, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose λ1 = c/f1, and λ2 = c/f2 .

So if f2 > f1 , then λ2 < λ1 , and you would need to switch the order of the limits of integration, which changes the sign back to positive.

6. Mar 26, 2016 #5
    Ahhhh of course, I forgot about that! Thank you so much, it's such a relief to 'get' that now. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted