Blind hole or through hole, which is better?

• Thread starter cbor0023
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hole
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of through holes versus blind holes for joining two plates with bolts. Through holes are favored for their cost-effectiveness, lack of additional threading operations, and typically stronger clamping force. However, tapped blind holes have the advantage of a smaller footprint and a cleaner appearance, and may be necessary for situations where access to the back side of the plate is limited.
cbor0023
Hi,

I had to build an apparatus where I had to join two plates by bolts. I used through holes. Is there any reason why through holes would be better than blind holes? I have an interview and might be asked such question:/

Engineering news on Phys.org
thur hole
cheap to manufacturer
no tap required, no separate thread cutting operation required
depending upon the material, clamping force of nut and bolt is USUALLY superior to that of tapped i.d.

in my opinion only plus side of tapped blind hole is less foot print..no ugly nut and bolt threads sticking out...also if access to back side of plate is issue..only choice is to tap the plate..

1. What is the difference between a blind hole and a through hole?

A blind hole is a hole that does not go all the way through the material, while a through hole is a hole that goes completely through the material.

2. When would you use a blind hole over a through hole?

Blind holes are typically used when the material being drilled through is too thick to create a through hole, or when the back of the material cannot be accessed.

3. What are the advantages of using a through hole?

A through hole allows for easier insertion and removal of fasteners or other objects, and also allows for easier cleaning and maintenance of the hole.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a blind hole?

One disadvantage of a blind hole is that it may not provide as strong of a connection as a through hole, as the threads of a bolt or screw may not go as deep into the material. Blind holes may also be more difficult to tap and thread.

5. Which type of hole is better for structural integrity?

Generally, a through hole is considered better for structural integrity as it allows for a more secure and deep connection between materials. However, the specific needs and circumstances of a project may require the use of a blind hole. It is important to carefully consider the design and function of the hole before deciding which type to use.