Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces of a bolt that bottoms out in a blind hole

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    I understand there are a variety of forces that are at work when a bolt is clamping two components together. However, what I don't understand is what forces are at work when a bolt is screwed into a blind hole and it bottoms out. Assuming a torque is applied, how would this torque act on the threads and structure of the part the bolt is being screwed into. Assuming the bolt does not bottom out, typically the threads will strip. But if the bolt bottoms out, then what?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the bolt does not bottom out, the underneath of the bolt head will hit the top of the structure and will start pushing on it as you apply a torque. The reaction force is from the threads of the bolt that are pulling the threads of the structure.

If it bottoms out, then it is the bottom of the bolt that hit the bottom of the hole in the structure and will start pushing on it as you apply a torque. The reaction force is the same, i.e. the threads of the bolt that are pushing the threads of the structure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook