Block and hoop sliding up a frictionless incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hold AP 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


part a) A block of mass m slides up an incline with an initial speed v0. The incline is on an angle,
Code:
θ
, and block stops sliding at height H.
-If the incline is frictionless, determine the max height H to which the block will rise, in terms of given quantities and appropriate constants.

part b) A thin hoop of mass m and radius R slides up an incline with an initial speed v0. The incline is on an angle,
Code:
θ
, and block stops sliding at height H.
-If the incline is frictionless, determine the max height H to which the hoop will rise, in terms of H and the given quantities.


Homework Equations



thin hoop I = MR2

The Attempt at a Solution



part a)

mgH = 1/2 mv02
therefore, H = (1/2)(v02/g)

& wouldn't part b be the same answer? or am I missing something mathematically?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hold AP 2010 said:
wouldn't part b be the same answer? or am I missing something mathematically?
I agree, it should be the same. It has nothing to do with the moment of inertia of the hoop if the hoop is sliding. The centre of mass is what you have to measure the height from.

AM