1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block moving down circle, a straight path, then into a spring

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the track shown in the figure. The section AB is one quadrant of a circle of radius 2.0 and is frictionless. B to C is a horizontal span 3.5 long with a coefficient of kinetic friction = 0.27. The section CD under the spring is frictionless. A block of mass 1.0 is released from rest at A. After sliding on the track, it compresses the spring by 0.35 .
    A)calculate the velocity at point B.
    B)Determine the thermal energy produced as the block slides from B to C.
    C)calculate the velocity at point C.
    D)determine the stiffness constant k for the spring.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A) i am having a hard time starting this question. for part A, i draw the free body diagram at the the top of the diagram (the side of the circle), i have the Normal force facing the center of the circle and the weight facing down. with that said i don't understand how to begin ƩF=mv^2/r equation in order to calculate the velocity.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

OK try these clarifying questions.

What energy transformation(s) occur in the A - B section?

What energy transformation(s) take place in the B - C section?

What energy transfer takes place after C?

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3
    from A - B the potential energy would go from its greatest value to 0, all that energy would become kinetic energy.

from B - C, the kinetic energy would decrease due to work done by friction.

after C, the object would hit the spring creating elastic potential energy.

Sorry about the lack of clarity, was in a rush when i posted and im new at communicating over forums.

5. Mar 10, 2012 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

NO NO NO

The question was perfectly clear to me - and if you understand what you have just written, then you should be able to solve the problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook