1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks connected by springs moving in a circle

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block A and block B are on a frictionless table as shown in Figure 2. Spring 1 connects block A to a frictionless peg at 0 and spring 2 connects block A and block B. Their masses are respectively mA=0:45 kg and mB=0:32 kg. When the blocks are in uniform circular motion about 0, the springs have lengths of lA=0.80 m and lB=0.50 m. The springs are ideal and massless, and the linear speed of block B is 2.8 m/s. If the distance that spring 2 stretches is 0.070 m, determine the spring constant of spring 2.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    a=v2/r
    F=kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    y-direction is perpendicular to surface and x-direction is parallel to surface
    rA=lA, rB=lA+lB
    T1=Tension is spring 1, T2=Tension in spring 2
    NA=Normal acting on block A, NB=Normal acting on block B
    xB=0.07m (The extension of spring 2)

For block A (From FBD)
    Resolving (y-direction): FAy=mAaAy=NA-mAg=0

Resolving (x-direction): FAx=mAaAx=T1-T2

⇒(mAvA2)/rA=T1-T2

For block B (From FBD)
    Resolving (y-direction): FBy=mBaBy=NB-mBg=0

Resolving (x-direction): FBx=mBaBx=T2

⇒(mBvB2)/rB=T2

And this is where I have become stuck, because I know I can't simply say T2=kxB as this would give the spring constant for a single spring that has extended to a total length of 1.3m. And continuations from this point do not seem to go anywhere e.g. substituting centripetal force of block B into the equation for block A, does not help as far as I can see.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

why would it do that? T2 is the tension, xB is the extension.

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    I thought of it originally, but then I thought it couldn't be because it doesn't require me to use anything from block A, and the block B would be under the same tension at that distance with a single spring, at least I think so. But surely it can't be as simple as to just equate (mBvB2)/rB with kxB?

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4
    I think I managed to convince myself that (mBvB2)/rB=kxB was wrong because it seemed too easy and didn't involve values from spring 1 or block A.

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see how string 2 could tell the difference if string 1 and block A were replaced by an inextensible massless string of the same (current) length.

7. Oct 19, 2015 #6
    Thank you for clearing that up for me in my mind. I've been doing this question for the past three days and I kept thinking to myself that the answer couldn't be as simple as I thought it was.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted