Block On Incline Projected Up With Initial Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block sliding down an inclined plane and then being projected up with a certain initial speed. The solution involves finding the force parallel to the incline, calculating the acceleration, and using kinematics equations to find the distance the block will travel before coming to rest. The importance of considering friction and normal force is also mentioned in finding the correct solution.
Becca93
Homework Statement

A block with mass m = 7.4 kg slides down an inclined plane of slope angle 43.8 ° with a constant velocity. It is then projected up the same plane with an initial speed 3.10 m/s. How far up the incline will the block move before coming to rest?

The attempt at a solution

You need to find the force parallel of the block on the incline, so

Fpara = mgsinθ
Fpara = (7.4)(9.8)sin(43.8)
Fpara = 50.194 N

Acceleration down is
a = F/m
a = 50.194/7.4
a = 6.783

If the block begins moving up at Vi = 3.10 m/s, and Vf = 0, then
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
0 = 3.1^2 + (2)(-6.783)d
d = -(3.1)^2 / -13.566
d = 0.708

This is not correct. Obviously, I'm doing this wrong, but I'm not sure of any other way to do it. I feel like having such a large acceleration down can't possibly be correct, and if that is indeed the case, how do I find acceleration of the block as it goes up the incline?

Physics news on Phys.org
You stated that the block slides at a constant velocity down, and since gravity is acceleration that means there must be a frictional force acting on the block which you must find. If the block is moving at a constant velocity downwards this means that Ftot has to equal zero, so this will allow you to calculate the force of frictiona and the coefficient of kinetic friction.

F// = Fpara = mgsinθ = Ff = μkFN

so you need to solve for the FN force normal to find μk and the normal force is perpendicular to the plane.

[You do not really need to find μk just the force of friction.] Knowing the force of friction and the force of gravity acting against the block as it moves up you will be able to solve for the acceleration of the block and then be able to find the distance at which it stops at.

EDIT*** what you need to do is now the force of friction and force of gravity are acting in the same direction and initially when the block is sliding down they are equal and opposite but when the block is sliding up then they are equal and the same. So you need to sum them up and then solve for the acceleration

Liquidxlax said:
You stated that the block slides at a constant velocity down, and since gravity is acceleration that means there must be a frictional force acting on the block which you must find. If the block is moving at a constant velocity downwards this means that Ftot has to equal zero, so this will allow you to calculate the force of frictiona and the coefficient of kinetic friction.

F// = Fpara = mgsinθ = Ff = μkFN

so you need to solve for the FN force normal to find μk and the normal force is perpendicular to the plane.

[You do not really need to find μk just the force of friction.] Knowing the force of friction and the force of gravity acting against the block as it moves up you will be able to solve for the acceleration of the block and then be able to find the distance at which it stops at.

EDIT*** what you need to do is now the force of friction and force of gravity are acting in the same direction and initially when the block is sliding down they are equal and opposite but when the block is sliding up then they are equal and the same. So you need to sum them up and then solve for the acceleration

As it doesn't mention friction in the problem, aren't we supposed to assume that the incline is frictionless?

Either way, I'm working it out like you said now.

Becca93 said:
As it doesn't mention friction in the problem, aren't we supposed to assume that the incline is frictionless?

Either way, I'm working it out like you said now.

if it was frictionless then the block would be accelerating down the plane and not moving at a constant velocity.

Liquidxlax said:
if it was frictionless then the block would be accelerating down the plane and not moving at a constant velocity.

Good point.

Since on the way down,
Fpara = Ff
50.194 = 50.194

and both of them are acting in the same direction going the opposite way, Ff becomes 100.388, the acceleration back is ridiculously high. It ends up as 13.56 m/s^2. Which is almost 50 km/h. Which doesn't seem in the realm of possibility.

What am I doing wrong?

looks right to me. I wouldn't worry about it seeming real considering it's just a made up question not a real life problem

Liquidxlax said:
looks right to me. I wouldn't worry about it seeming real considering it's just a made up question not a real life problem

When you plug that acceleration into the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, you get 0.345 which is incorrect.

Is there something to this that I'm missing?

Draw a free body diagram for the block on the incline. Note that while gravity acts straight down from the block, the normal force has components. As such, if we sum the forces acting in the y direction, you will get an expression for FN (the normal force) in terms of gravity (I leave it to you to figure out which trigonometric ratio to use).

Also, you may or may not be aware that if an object slides with constant velocity down a slope, its coefficient of friction is equal to tanθ. With this knowledge, and the normal force, we can find the frictional force.

Using Newton's Second Law, if we return to the x direction, and sum those forces as we did for the y direction, we should be able to find the acceleration of the block, at which point you can use a basic kinematics equation that involves known variables of acceleration, final and initial speed and the required unknown distance to solve for the distance. (I believe you have already made reference to this equation.)

Hope this helps! :)

Hi Becca93! :smile:

Becca93 said:
Good point.

Since on the way down,
Fpara = Ff
50.194 = 50.194

and both of them are acting in the same direction going the opposite way, Ff becomes 100.388, the acceleration back is ridiculously high. It ends up as 13.56 m/s^2. Which is almost 50 km/h. Which doesn't seem in the realm of possibility.

What am I doing wrong?

How did you get Fpara?
I get a different value (52.34 N).
Edit: sorry, your value is right.

Btw, your acceleration is not ridiculously high.
In particular you can not convert it to a speed of 50 km/h, since it is not a speed, it's an acceleration (that's just a little over the standard acceleration of gravity).

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Hi Becca93! :smile:

How did you get Fpara?
I get a different value (52.34 N).

Btw, your acceleration is not ridiculously high.
In particular you can not convert it to a speed of 50 km/h, since it is not a speed, it's an acceleration (that's just a little over the standard acceleration of gravity).

Hey! Thanks for pointing that out. I used mgcosθ to get Fn, and mgsinθ to get Fpara.

I did get the answer to the question though! It ended up being 0.354 m, not 0.345 m like I got earlier.

Thanks to everyone for the help! It was seriously appreciated!

1. What is the "Block On Incline Projected Up With Initial Speed" experiment?

The "Block On Incline Projected Up With Initial Speed" experiment is a physics experiment that involves a block being projected up an inclined plane with an initial speed. This experiment is used to study the motion of objects on inclined planes and the effects of initial speed on the motion of the block.

2. How is the experiment set up?

The experiment is set up by placing an inclined plane at an angle and attaching a block to a pulley at the top of the inclined plane. The block is then released, and its motion is recorded using a stopwatch or motion detector. The initial speed of the block can be adjusted by changing the height from which it is released.

3. What are the variables in this experiment?

The independent variable in this experiment is the initial speed of the block, which can be varied by changing the release height. The dependent variables are the distance the block travels up the incline and the time it takes to reach the top. Other variables that may affect the experiment include the mass of the block, the angle of the incline, and friction.

4. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the motion of objects on inclined planes and the effects of initial speed on this motion. It can also be used to calculate the acceleration of the block and compare it to the theoretical value calculated using equations of motion.

5. What are some possible sources of error in this experiment?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment include human error in timing the motion of the block, friction between the block and the incline, and discrepancies in the release height of the block. Other factors that may affect the results include air resistance and imperfections in the equipment used.