1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block sliding down a moving plane whose angle of inclination changes

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bar of soap of mass m is at rest on a frictionless square plate of side-length D rests on a horizontal table. At t=0 I start to raise one edge of the plate the plate pivots about the opposite edge. The angular velocity about the pivot is a constant ω Show that the equation of motion for the soap is of the form [itex]\ddot{x} - \omega ^{2} x = - g sin( \omega t )[/itex]. Solve this for x(t) given that . In this equation x is the distance from the pivot to the soap (i.e. measured up the slope).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

We will find that the potential energy is [itex]V = mgx sin( \theta )[/itex], and the kinetic energy is just [itex]T = \frac{1}{2} m \ddot{x}^{2}[/itex]. Then our Lagrangian is just [itex]L = \frac{1}{2} m \ddot{x}^{2} - mgx sin( \theta )[/itex] and since we know omega is constant, then θ = ωt, so our Lagrangian becomes [itex]L = \frac{1}{2} m \ddot{x}^{2} - mgx sin( \omega t)[/itex].

But using the Euler-Lagrange equation yields [itex]\ddot{x} = -g sin( \theta )[/itex].

Where did the [itex] - \omega ^{2} x[/itex] come from? i want to say that it has something to do with the fact that the angle is changing over time...but i can't see it right now. any help would be great. thanks in advance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You forgot the kinetic energy from motion perpendicular to the direction of x. As you know the motion of the slope, you can relate this to x and t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted