Body's area regarding energy from sun...?

In summary: According to the highlighted portion, an area of 1 square metre receives 1.4 x 103 J of solar energy per second. This means that the area includes the entire Earth.
axer
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hello, this isn't a homework or anything, I am just trying to understand one thing :) (finals are tomorrow :-0 )

If a person is exposed to heat energy of the sun for 4 hours(5040000 J per hour) and the avg surface area of the person is 1.9 m^2. and specific heat capacity of the body is 3470 J kg-1 k-1. mass of the person is 70. Calculate the rise of Temp.

Q=mc(delta T)

So here's what I am not understanding.. Should I include the person's area? but I am not seeing why they included that since the formula doesn't state area.

Answer in which area is included: (5040000*4)(1.9)=(70)(3470)T ... 158 C.
removing area from the answer: ... 83 C.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't answer your question because you didn't show any formula nor did you show your calculations.

Shouldn't 5040000 J per hour be J per m^2 per hour?

anorlunda said:
We can't answer your question because you didn't show any formula nor did you show your calculations.

Shouldn't 5040000 J per hour be J per m^2 per hour?
Ok sorry if I am not clear
Power=Energy/time= 5040000 j/h=5040000 W

Heat energy from the sun in 4 hours= 20160000 J. my question is should we include the area to find the heat energy? if yes, why? thanks.

axer said:
Ok sorry if I am not clear
Power=Energy/time= 5040000 j/h=5040000 W

Heat energy from the sun in 4 hours= 20160000 J. my question is should we include the area to find the heat energy? if yes, why? thanks.

Nope, you're still far off in magnitude and units. Is the 20160000 supposed to be for the entire Earth? That doesn't work either.

Also, a watt is one joule per second, not one joule per hour.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunlight said:
The World Meteorological Organization uses the term "sunshine duration" to mean the cumulative time during which an area receives direct irradiance from the Sun of at least 120 watts per square meter.

anorlunda said:
Nope, you're still far off in magnitude and units. Is the 20160000 supposed to be for the entire Earth? That doesn't work either.

Also, a watt is one joule per second, not one joule per hour.
nA3LyMzoSdWzskYPvQBy4Q.png
So here's the 2 part question, sorry if my way of phrasing is unclear.

Attachments

• nA3LyMzoSdWzskYPvQBy4Q.png
    nA3LyMzoSdWzskYPvQBy4Q.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 191
axer said:
[image contents converted to text]
(ii) One square metre of the Earth's surface receives approximately 1.4 x 103 J of solar energy per second
The highlighted portion of the question is important.

1. How does the body obtain energy from the sun?

The body obtains energy from the sun through a process called photosynthesis. This process involves plants using sunlight to convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose, which is then used by animals as a source of energy.

2. What role does the sun play in the body's energy production?

The sun plays a crucial role in the body's energy production through photosynthesis. Without the sun's energy, plants would not be able to produce glucose, which is essential for the functioning of all living organisms.

3. Can the body store energy from the sun?

No, the body cannot directly store energy from the sun. However, the body can store the energy it obtains from food, which ultimately comes from plants that have used sunlight to produce glucose.

4. How does the body use the energy from the sun?

The energy from the sun is used by the body to power various biological processes, such as metabolism, growth, and movement. It is also used to maintain body temperature and support physical activity.

5. What are the potential risks of too much exposure to the sun's energy?

While the sun's energy is essential for life, too much exposure to it can be harmful. Overexposure to UV radiation from the sun can damage the skin, increase the risk of skin cancer, and cause other health problems such as heatstroke and dehydration.