1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boiling points and hydrogen bondings

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Explain the boiling points of HF, HCl, HBr nd HI

3. The attempt at a solution

The boiling points are:

HF: 20 C
    HCl: -85 C
    HBr: -67 C
    HI: -35 C

The hydrogen bondings between H and F are stronger than other hydrogen bondings. Therefore HF has the highest boiling point. But then I'd expect the order to be HCl > HBr > HI; not the opposite. How can that be explained?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2
    do H-bonds really occur in all the hydrogen halides? what are the requirements for an H-bond to be formed?
  4. May 15, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is somewhat of a trick question you really need to observe the relations between the intermolecular and intramolecular-what's especially important here is the polarizability with additional regard to dipole moments due to electronegativity- attractions in this case.
  5. May 15, 2008 #4
    No idea. My book only says that H-bonds occur between molecules when a H-atom bonds with an electronegative atom.
  6. May 15, 2008 #5
    it should've been said 'a VERY elctronegative atom'. only N, O and F can form H-bonds.

does this help you?!
  7. May 16, 2008 #6
    Yes, thanks.
  8. May 16, 2008 #7
    i was more expecting you to explain the trends in boiling point using this information than saying thanks.

9. May 18, 2008 #8
    This is actually a very hard trick question. I know I had some problem with it in the first chem-course at my university. But, it is a very multifaceted question. And also a rather tricky one, because many factors play their part in a complex thing like boiling points. Dipole-momentum, electronegativity, bond-lengths and such. But one thing that often is overlooked and why this is a hard question is about the quantum number, the amount of shells and electrons in the atom.

When a atom has a lot of electrons, they also increase the the amounts of van-der-waalforces in the molecule. And if the amount goes up for a given timeperiod, the strength of the bond also goes up.

Which means that downward in the halide-group, you always get stronger bonds (van-der-waals) due to larger molecules. This is something you can generalize on the atomic table and periods. But remember, that it is a lot of exceptions to this rule. Which is why chemistry is a bit tricky.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?