Where Can I Find Abstract Algebra Problems for Studying the Math GRE?

In summary: June 1, 1996)In summary, if you are looking for a source of abstract algebra problems to help you in studying for the math GRE, the book "Exercises in Algebra" by A.I. Kostrikin is a good option. It covers topics such as linear algebra, group theory, and number theory, and has a large number of practice problems at a reasonable price. Other suggestions such as Schaum's and Modern Abstract Algebra have received negative reviews and may have too much information for the limited time you have to study. Additionally, the GRE website provides a breakdown of the content covered on the math GRE, including abstract algebra, and recommends courses and textbooks to prepare for the test.
jammidactyl
Studying for the math GRE and I need source of abstract algebra problems. I have/understand all the theory books, just need to get quick at the basics!

Are any of the Schaum's worthwhile?
Abstract Algebra, ISBN 0071403272, 450 problems, bad Amazon reviews
Modern Abstract Algebra, ISBN 0070026556, 425 problems
Group Theory, ISBN 0070041245, "hundreds" of problems

Any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
None of those. Get this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375764917/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's more compact. The others have too much information and you don't have the time to learn so much right now. This book gets you through all the theory as quick as possible and it has practice problems similar to those on the GRE. It's quite a bit to learn, but the book does a good job since it's very concise. You should focus on calculus. Goodluck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh.. there's abstract algebra on the GRE?

- Warren

abstract algebra, graph theory..yup...math gre...

this from the gre website:

4 MATHEMATICS TEST (RESCALED)
The test consists of 66 multiple-choice questions,
drawn from courses commonly offered at the under-
graduate level. Although the Mathematics Test has
been rescaled, the content of the test has not changed.
Approximately 50 percent of the questions involve
calculus and its applications —subject matter that can
be assumed to be common to the backgrounds of
almost all mathematics majors. About 25 percent of
the questions in the test are in elementary algebra,
linear algebra, abstract algebra, and number theory.
The remaining questions deal with other areas of
mathematics currently studied by undergraduates in
many institutions.
The following content descriptions may assist
students in preparing for the test. The percentages
given are estimates; actual percentages will vary
somewhat from one edition of the test to another.
Calculus — 50%
Material learned in the usual sequence of elementary
calculus courses — differential and integral calculus
of one and of several variables — including calculus-
based applications and connections with coordinate
geometry, trigonometry, differential equations, and
other branches of mathematics
Algebra — 25%
Elementary algebra: basic algebraic techniques and
manipulations acquired in high school and used
throughout mathematics
Linear algebra: matrix algebra, systems of linear
equations, vector spaces, linear transformations, char-
acteristic polynomials, eigenvalues and eigenvectors
Abstract algebra and number theory: elementary
topics from group theory, the theory of rings and
modules, field theory, and number theory
Additional Topics — 25%
Introductory real analysis: sequences and series of
numbers and functions, continuity, differentiability
and integrability, elementary topology of \0 and \0n
Discrete mathematics: logic, set theory, combina-
torics, graph theory, and algorithms
Other topics: general topology, geometry, complex
variables, probability and statistics, and numerical
analysis
The above descriptions of topics covered in the test
should not be considered exhaustive; it is necessary to
understand many other related concepts.

the practice test had a few questions on subgroups of Z, groups of order 4, matrices of order 2 and 3, rational roots of polynomials, binomial coefficients, and a question on commutativity of rings.

almost any algebra book, no matter how elementary would cover these thigns.

Thanks for luck, but I'd rather not leave it up to that! I'm not applying to school this year, so I have some time before next April and November. I've been out of school for a while and although I've kept up with theory, my calculation abilities have definitely suffered.

I've been using "Cracking the GRE" as the basis for my calculus review. I work through the relevant chapters to get a feel for the level/types of problems and my deficiencies. Then I pick up my copy of Stewart or my differential equations book and start solving problems. I last cracked these books as a freshman, but they've again found their use. Especially Stewart and his "Problems Plus" at the end of each chapter. These problems take longer than the types found on the GRE but are of similar level of difficulty.

So I'm not really looking for a review of theory. It couldn't hurt to have that summary, but I'm really just looking for a book to practice the types/level of problems found on the GRE. Especially the number theory related algebra problems. It's one of the few branches of mathematics that just doesn't interest me (number theory that is).

So again, not looking for theory or an elementary summary of results. Just a book with a good price per problem and figured one of those would be suitable.

there is an actual gre on their website.

I guess I'm just generally frustrated with the dearth of preparation materials. I will post back in a couple of months with my review program and sources of problems I encounter. As with most things, it'll just take an outlay of a few bucks.

I recommend:
Exercises in Algebra: A Collection of Exercises in Algebra, Linear Algebra and Geometry (Algebra, Logic and Applications) by A.I. Kostrikin; Gordon and Breach Publ.

1. What is the "Book of Algebra Problems"?

The "Book of Algebra Problems" is a book that contains a collection of algebraic equations and problems for students to practice and improve their algebra skills.

2. Who is the target audience for the "Book of Algebra Problems"?

The target audience for the "Book of Algebra Problems" is typically students in middle or high school who are learning algebra or need extra practice in the subject.

3. Is the "Book of Algebra Problems" suitable for all levels of algebra?

Yes, the "Book of Algebra Problems" is designed to cover a range of algebraic concepts and can be used by students at any level, from beginners to advanced.

4. Are there step-by-step solutions provided for the problems in the "Book of Algebra Problems"?

Yes, the "Book of Algebra Problems" includes step-by-step solutions for each problem, making it easier for students to understand and learn from their mistakes.

5. Can the "Book of Algebra Problems" be used as a study guide for standardized tests?

Yes, the "Book of Algebra Problems" can be a great study guide for standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT, as it covers a wide range of algebraic concepts commonly tested on these exams.