• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Book on Functional Calculus

• Calculus
  • Thread starter Gaussian97
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I'm looking for a book that explains more deeply (and a little bit more formal) the functional calculus than the typical introductions that I find in QFT books (like Peskin or Hatfield). Is there any good book for physicists to learn the mathematics behind functional calculus?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
How about Dewitt's Functional Integration.

I must confess that I haven't read this book yet, but looks like a good place to start.

Ok, thanks, although it's not quite what I was looking for, I'm more interested in a book that starts without assuming any functional knowledge and starts constructing what a functional is, it's derivatives, functional equations etc...

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
So perhaps you need a book in Calculus of Variations?

I prefer rigorous maths (when possible), so my recommendations will be as such.

Yes, if the topic is discussed in those books. I also like mathematical rigour, although I'm not a mathematician and I usually look for a trade-off between rigour and not have to read 20 books before to understand the first statement :D.

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Yes, if the topic is discussed in those books. I also like mathematical rigour, although I'm not a mathematician and I usually look for a trade-off between rigour and not have to read 20 books before to understand the first statement :D.
Well if the topic is so advanced then perhaps those 20 books are in order... :oldbiggrin:

Anyway, a good place to start is An Introduction to Variational Calculus by Bernard Darcogona (google will correct my spelling). I read through chapters 1-4 didn't finish it though.

Mind you, that you need to know before that Hilbert spaces and intro to Functional Analysis.

You know all those spaces of ##L^p## etc.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The classic still is Hilbert and Courant vol. I (not the modenized single-volume rewriting of it, which destroys the charm of the original at least somewhat).

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
The classic still is Hilbert and Courant vol. I (not the modenized single-volume rewriting of it, which destroys the charm of the original at least somewhat).
yes, also that book I never finished reading.