1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Book Recommendations in Multivariable Calculus

1. Jun 2, 2017 #1
    I am almost on the verge of completing single-variable Calculus, and I've got a book on the same by I. A. Maron. So, after getting a good grip on single-variable Calculus, I want to start with multivariable.

Can anyone recommend me good books on multivariable Calculus with which I could begin, and some more with good problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could always start here:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

4. Jun 2, 2017 #3
    Online tutorials are very good, but any books?

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I had a book to recommend, I would have recommended a book.

6. Jun 2, 2017 #5
    Anyways, thank you.

7. Jun 3, 2017 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe Edwards and Penney? Hard to know what kind of book you want. there are so many with so many different appropaches and levels of abstraction. Courant is a classic and for a more theoretical treatment I liked Fleming, Calculus of several variables. I A Maron seems like just a problem book.

8. Jun 4, 2017 #7
    I A Maron is used only as a problem book after learning Calculus.

9. Jun 4, 2017 #8
    Do you know linear algebra ?

10. Jun 4, 2017 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if you tell us what book you learned single variable calculus and whether you liked it we could suggest a similar several variables book. or as often happens the same author may have a several variables book you could look at on your own. or are you looking for something with a different approach from your single variables book. or re you looking for a problem book in several variables?

11. Jun 4, 2017 #10
    Linear algebra is a vast discipline; if you tell me a few topics, I may be able to say whether I've studied them.

12. Jun 4, 2017 #11
    I will surely name the book, but I know you'll not know it. I'm from Kolkata, India. Here, there is a famous book named "Higher Mathematics" by S. N. De. The book is very ideal for learning single variable Calculus at preliminary level, and hosts a good deal of exercises also.

I'm looking for a book from where I can learn multivariable Calculus, and also practice a few problems.

13. Jun 4, 2017 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

14. Jun 4, 2017 #13
    Edwards and Penney I've ordered for, and Lang and the other one I'll buy next week probably.

Thank you for the recommendations.

15. Jun 4, 2017 #14

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if you are willing to ask some of my Indian friends, they may know more about your books and may give better recommendations.

here is one, a famous indian algebraic geometer, S. Ramanan, of TIFR and Chennai Institute:

http://www.cmi.ac.in/people/fac-profile.php?id=sramanan

16. Jun 6, 2017 #15
    When I studied multivariable, I really liked Apostol Calculus,vol. 2. I really liked his exposition. Also the book by Williamson, Crowell, Trotter, as mathwonk said, is indeed fabulous.
    By the way, since people tend to buy books, it will be quite easy to borrow a good book from the library for the whole semester, so you can save a lot of your money.

17. Jun 6, 2017 #16
    My semester is long to come, and it's a 2 year time after which I can call it semester. I'm in school currently, class XI, and my school library has no books on this topic.

18. Jun 6, 2017 #17
    The books mentioned above are quite good, and you can't really go wrong with them. You can always supplement it with nice and visual examples from the web, such as Paul's Online Math Notes(http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/MultiVrbleFcns.aspx), and mathinsight. Try to learn it and visualize the theory and problems as much as you can.

19. Jun 6, 2017 #18
    How is the printing quality of that book ?

20. Jun 6, 2017 #19
    Means? I got the book online here:

Removed by mentor due to copyright infringement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  21. Jun 6, 2017 #20
    Then as you can see it is not very readable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted