Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books for Quantum field theory?

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    Hi,there! I want to study Quantum Field Theory but I don't know what book to use! I have a rather good background in quantum mechanics and electrodynamics, and I probably can gain access on the following books:
    Brown L.S. : "Quantum Field Theory"
    Peskin and Schroeder : "Introduction to Quantum Field Theory"
    Ben Simons : "Quantum Field Theory"
    Weinberg S. : "The Quantum Theory Of Fields" Vol 1,2,3 .
    If you have any idea or suggestion which to use (not necessary from the above list) please tell me! Thank You for your time and your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like a book by Halzen and Martin (Quarks and Leptons) as a first book in QFT. It gives a very physicall discussion.

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    I can tell you that Weinberg is terribly mathematical, so it might be better if you were to read one of the other books first, just to have some sort of physical picture as to what is going on, otherwise Weinberg can be impossibly difficult to follow.

5. Oct 6, 2006 #4
  6. Oct 6, 2006 #5
    Well, if someone has to make you do your QFT homework, you probably should go to journalism school instead.

7. Oct 6, 2006 #6
    I've got Peskin & Schroder along with Weinbergs Vol 1 book. P&S is WAY better IMO and it's pretty much the QFT bible in the unis I've been to. The first 5 chapters amount to the standard course in QFT and then the following 6~9 cover more advanced topics like renormalisation.

You can find a fair few websites with worked through solutions to the problems in P&S too which is useful if you've no lecturer/supervisor to ask.

8. Oct 9, 2006 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I still Anth. Zee's book is still the best written book on the subject of quantum fields, without insisting on mathematical subtleties.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?