Books for Quantum field theory?

In summary, A student is seeking advice on which book to use for studying Quantum Field Theory. They mention their background in quantum mechanics and electrodynamics and list several potential books to use, including "Quantum Field Theory" by Brown, "Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin and Schroeder, "Quantum Field Theory" by Ben Simons, and "The Quantum Theory Of Fields" by Weinberg. They also mention a book by Halzen and Martin as a recommendation from another student. The student also shares their opinion that Peskin and Schroeder is a better book and a popular choice among universities. They mention that websites with solutions to problems in P&S can be found online, and share their personal preference for Anth
Nikos
Hi,there! I want to study Quantum Field Theory but I don't know what book to use! I have a rather good background in quantum mechanics and electrodynamics, and I probably can gain access on the following books:
Brown L.S. : "Quantum Field Theory"
Peskin and Schroeder : "Introduction to Quantum Field Theory"
Ben Simons : "Quantum Field Theory"
Weinberg S. : "The Quantum Theory Of Fields" Vol 1,2,3 .
If you have any idea or suggestion which to use (not necessary from the above list) please tell me! Thank You for your time and your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I like a book by Halzen and Martin (Quarks and Leptons) as a first book in QFT. It gives a very physicall discussion.

I can tell you that Weinberg is terribly mathematical, so it might be better if you were to read one of the other books first, just to have some sort of physical picture as to what is going on, otherwise Weinberg can be impossibly difficult to follow.

Well, if someone has to make you do your QFT homework, you probably should go to journalism school instead.

I've got Peskin & Schroder along with Weinbergs Vol 1 book. P&S is WAY better IMO and it's pretty much the QFT bible in the unis I've been to. The first 5 chapters amount to the standard course in QFT and then the following 6~9 cover more advanced topics like renormalisation.

You can find a fair few websites with worked through solutions to the problems in P&S too which is useful if you've no lecturer/supervisor to ask.

I still Anth. Zee's book is still the best written book on the subject of quantum fields, without insisting on mathematical subtleties.

Daniel.

1. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework in physics that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and fields at a subatomic level.

2. Why are books for quantum field theory important?

Books for quantum field theory provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the fundamental concepts and mathematical formalism of this complex theory. They are essential for researchers, students, and scientists working in the field of particle physics and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some recommended books for learning quantum field theory?

Some popular books for learning quantum field theory include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki, and "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding books on quantum field theory?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is necessary to understand books on quantum field theory. A basic understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity is also helpful.

5. Is quantum field theory a difficult subject to learn?

Yes, quantum field theory is a highly complex and abstract subject that requires a significant amount of mathematical knowledge and understanding. It also requires a lot of practice and patience to fully grasp the concepts and their applications.