1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid State Books for second quantization and condensed matter

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    Hi.

I'll be doing a master's degree in nanophysics and working on electron transport in arrays of qubits.
    I don't know anything (or barely) about the second quantization and would like a book which covers it, and on condensed matter overall.

So far I've been told about Bruus&Flensberg's "Many-body quantum theory in condensed matter physics", Mahan's "Many particle physics" and Chaikin&Lubensky's "Principles of condensed matter physics".

I'm open to hear any new suggestions or comments on this ones.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mahan, not for the beginner

Chaikin and Lubensky: focuses on soft matter and the more modern aspects (topological solids etc...)

Don't know Bruus and Flensberg, so cannot make a judgement. There are others out there, look at amazon and take a look at the TOC.....

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A. Altland, B. Simons, Condensed Matter Field Theory, Cambridge University Press 2010 (2nd edition)
    J. Rammer, Quantum Field Theory of Nonequilibrium Systems, Cambridge University Press 2007
    D. A. Ryndyk, Quantum Transport at Nanoscale, Springer 2016
    A. Kamenev, Field Theory of Nonequilibrium Systems, Cambridge University Press 2011

5. Nov 5, 2016 #4
    Thanks, you both. I'll keep the suggestions in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted