Hamiltonian in second quantization

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Hamiltonian for a single harmonic oscillator in Hilbert space and Fock space. It is explained that the Fock space is just the single-particle Hilbert space and no second quantization is needed. The key is to be careful with operator ordering and to use the equation (a+a†)^2-(a-a†)^2=4(a†a+1/2) to derive the Hamiltonian. The additive piece is just a constant operator and the Lagrangian can also be used to describe the same physics. It is also advised to use the built-in LaTeX feature instead of posting equations as images.
hello_world30
TL;DR Summary
Proving Hamiltonian of a simple harmonic oscillator in second quantization
Hello ! I require some guidance on this prove :
IMG_1316.jpg
I normally derive the Hamiltonian for a SHO in Hilbert space with a term of 1/2 hbar omega included. However, I am unsure of how one derives this from Hilbert space to Fock space. I have attached my attempt at it as an image below. Any input will be of great help. Cheers.
IMG_1318.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 137
Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to express ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{p}## in terms of the operators ##\hat{a}## and ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}## and subtract, without essentially changing the physics, the vacuum-energy contribution by "normal ordering".

In this case of a single harmonic oscillator your "Fock space" is just the single-particle Hilbert space you started with, and there is no "2nd quantization done". This you achieve by quantizing the Schrödinger field, leading to a real Fock space.

Likes PeroK and hello_world30
vanhees71 said:
You just have to express ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{p}## in terms of the operators ##\hat{a}## and ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}## and subtract, without essentially changing the physics, the vacuum-energy contribution by "normal ordering".

In this case of a single harmonic oscillator your "Fock space" is just the single-particle Hilbert space you started with, and there is no "2nd quantization done". This you achieve by quantizing the Schrödinger field, leading to a real Fock space.
IMG_1319.jpg
IMG_1320.jpg

Thank you for your prompt reply. Why is it that if I substitute x and p operators that are exressed in terms of a and a^(+) into the Hamiltonian , it does not have the 1/2 hbar omega term, but when I use the conventional way of deriving the Hamiltonian (starting from aa^+) then I get a Hamiltonian with 1/2 hbar omega ?

You must be more careful with operator ordering! You should get the last equation on your scanned calculations (BTW, it's much less work and better for the forum to use the built-in LaTeX feature. Click the LaTeX guide (link at the left directly under the text editor):

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Concerning the calculation, note that
$$(\hat{a}-\hat{a}^{\dagger})^2=\hat{a}^2 - \hat{a} \hat{a}^{\dagger} - \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a}+ \hat{a}^{\dagger 2}$$
and
$$(\hat{a}+\hat{a}^{\dagger})^2=\hat{a}^2 + \hat{a} \hat{a}^{\dagger} + \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a} + \hat{a}^{\dagger 2}.$$
From that you get
$$(\hat{a}+\hat{a}^{\dagger})^2-(\hat{a}-\hat{a}^{\dagger})^2=2 (\hat{a}\hat{a}^{\dagger} + \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a})=2([\hat{a},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]+2 \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a}]=4 \left (\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a} + \frac{1}{2} \right).$$
Plugging this into your equation for the Hamiltonian, you get your final equation (1),
$$\hat{H}=\hbar \omega \left (\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a} + \frac{1}{2} \right).$$
The additive piece ##\hbar \omega/2 \hat{1}## is just a constant operator commuting with everything, and just counting the energy of the ground state as zero, you get the equivalent Lagrangian
$$\hat{H}'=\hbar \omega \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a},$$
which describes the same physics as the original Hamiltonian, except that your zero level for energy is shifted.

@hello_world30 please do not enter your equations as images. Use the PF LaTeX feature to enter them directly into your post. (You will see a "LaTeX Guide" link at the lower left of the post window.)

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Hamiltonian in second quantization?

The Hamiltonian in second quantization is a mathematical operator used to describe the total energy of a quantum system with multiple particles. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of each particle, as well as the interactions between them.

2. How is the Hamiltonian in second quantization different from the classical Hamiltonian?

In classical mechanics, the Hamiltonian is a function of the positions and momenta of particles in a system. In second quantization, the Hamiltonian is an operator that acts on quantum states, taking into account the quantum mechanical nature of particles.

3. What is the role of creation and annihilation operators in the Hamiltonian in second quantization?

Creation and annihilation operators are used to describe the creation and destruction of particles in a quantum system. They allow the Hamiltonian to account for the number of particles in a given state and the interactions between them.

4. How is the Hamiltonian in second quantization used in many-body physics?

The Hamiltonian in second quantization is a fundamental tool in many-body physics, as it allows for the description of systems with a large number of interacting particles. It is used to calculate the energy levels and properties of these systems, such as the ground state energy and the excitation spectrum.

5. What are some applications of the Hamiltonian in second quantization?

The Hamiltonian in second quantization is used in a variety of fields, including condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and quantum chemistry. It is also a crucial tool in the study of quantum many-body systems, such as Bose-Einstein condensates and superconductors.