Book recommendations for second quantization and Jellium model

In summary, for a detailed and step-by-step study on second quantization, some recommended books are Flensburg and Bruus' book, Fetter and Walecka's book, and Abrikosov, Gor'kov, and Dzyaloshinkii's book. However, the latter is known for being concise and equation-heavy. For those without a background in quantum field theory, Flensburg and Bruus' book or Richard Mattuck's book may be more suitable. Another recommendation is Landau and Lifshitz's vol. IX.
pallab
please refer me a good book for the detail step by step study on the second quantization. and also where can I find the jellium model for the metal?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends a little on your background. Flensburg and Bruus' book is a pretty gentle introduction and written in a fairly modern way. I quite like Fetter and Walecka, which is a bit more advanced but also more detailed (it is also a little bit older, but I don't think it suffers due to its age).

The "classic" is Abrikosov, Gor'kov, and Dzyaloshinkii, but it is famously very Russian (extremely concise, dense, and equation-heavy).

Likes pallab and vanhees71
king vitamin said:
It depends a little on your background. Flensburg and Bruus' book is a pretty gentle introduction and written in a fairly modern way. I quite like Fetter and Walecka, which is a bit more advanced but also more detailed (it is also a little bit older, but I don't think it suffers due to its age).

The "classic" is Abrikosov, Gor'kov, and Dzyaloshinkii, but it is famously very Russian (extremely concise, dense, and equation-heavy).
I have studied quantum mechanics but not the quantum field theory.

I think that the first two books are ok if you have not taken QFT, though the second will be a bit more difficult. If you find Flensberg and Bruus too difficult, Richard Mattuck's book A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem is a very gentle introduction to the subject.

Also, don't forget Landau&Lifshitz vol. IX (also pretty Russian in style of course ;-)).

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe systems with an indeterminate number of particles. It is based on the concept of creating and annihilating particles, rather than tracking the individual particles themselves.

2. What is the Jellium model?

The Jellium model is a simplified model used in solid state physics to describe the electronic structure of metals. It assumes that the positively charged nuclei are uniformly distributed in a sea of negatively charged electrons, similar to a metallic jello.

3. Why is second quantization important in understanding the Jellium model?

Second quantization is important because it allows us to describe the behavior of a large number of particles in a more efficient and elegant way. In the case of the Jellium model, it allows us to describe the collective behavior of the electrons in the metal, rather than tracking each individual electron.

4. What are some recommended books for learning about second quantization and the Jellium model?

Some recommended books include "Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems" by Alexander Fetter and John Walecka, "A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem" by Richard D. Mattuck, and "Introduction to Many-Body Physics" by Piers Coleman.

5. Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics necessary to understand second quantization and the Jellium model?

Yes, a basic understanding of quantum mechanics is necessary to fully grasp the concepts of second quantization and the Jellium model. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in quantum mechanics before delving into these topics.