• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Book recommendations for second quantization and Jellium model

• Thread starter pallab
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

please refer me a good book for the detail step by step study on the second quantization. and also where can I find the jellium model for the metal?

Answers and Replies

king vitamin
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It depends a little on your background. Flensburg and Bruus' book is a pretty gentle introduction and written in a fairly modern way. I quite like Fetter and Walecka, which is a bit more advanced but also more detailed (it is also a little bit older, but I don't think it suffers due to its age).

The "classic" is Abrikosov, Gor'kov, and Dzyaloshinkii, but it is famously very Russian (extremely concise, dense, and equation-heavy).

It depends a little on your background. Flensburg and Bruus' book is a pretty gentle introduction and written in a fairly modern way. I quite like Fetter and Walecka, which is a bit more advanced but also more detailed (it is also a little bit older, but I don't think it suffers due to its age).

The "classic" is Abrikosov, Gor'kov, and Dzyaloshinkii, but it is famously very Russian (extremely concise, dense, and equation-heavy).
I have studied quantum mechanics but not the quantum field theory.

king vitamin
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that the first two books are ok if you have not taken QFT, though the second will be a bit more difficult. If you find Flensberg and Bruus too difficult, Richard Mattuck's book A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem is a very gentle introduction to the subject.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Also, don't forget Landau&Lifshitz vol. IX (also pretty Russian in style of course ;-)).