Books for self-learning Calculus?

1. Hello all. I ran a search on the forums, but didn't find anything specific to my query.

Does anyone here have a favorite book for self-teaching Calculus? Preferably, the book should have a small refresher for older needed maths before the actual Calculus segment. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Spivak's "Calculus" is great if you intend on learning more of the mathematician's calculus than the engineering/physics applications. It starts from going over the basic properties of numbers and functions first. In either case, a Schaum's review of Calculus will easily fill in the applications if you need them.

4. JasonRox

JasonRox 2,327
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't suggest Spivak.

I would go with Stewart's.

5. symbolipoint

symbolipoint 3,307
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not a disagreement with those, but would you give your reasons for not using the Spivak book but to use the Stewart book?

6. if you're going to read a math book you should learn how to do proofs first

7. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

8. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

9. mathwonk

mathwonk 9,848
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

go to thelibrary and try reading them. choose whichever one you like to read. e.g. spivak, courant, stewart, thomas, cruse and granberg, thomas finney, salas - hille, kitchen, silvanus p thompson, ....

10. Gib Z

Gib Z 3,348
    Homework Helper

It depends what you need this calculus for. Do you need a firm understand with strong fundamentals because you wish to do a degree in mathematics, do you want to use it this apply the basics to some problems, just enough understanding to apply to some engineering perhaps? Different books suit different needs.

11. I used Stewart's to self learn. It's a great book and full of color :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?