1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on doing graduate research

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recommend books useful for learning how to "do research," to put it bluntly. Almost all the books I could find at my school's wimpy liberal arts library seem concerned with doing research to write a research paper for a class, not on actually doing research on a scientific problem, IE trying to create a literature review etc. for a thesis.

Any recommendations? What books do grad students read on "how to do research"?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2
    I'd like to know too. I didn't have one, and I'd like to have one to suggest to others!

4. Jun 27, 2008 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Jun 27, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have Pat Cryer's "The Research Student's Guide to Success". Its mainly for British Postgrad research students though, but is written with a broad range of subjects in mind and is very general about the methods and practices you need to develop if you want to do well in research.

6. Jun 27, 2008 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have read a few that you may like:

Ramon y Cajal's "Advice to a Young Investigator" is really good, and probably exactly what you are looking for.

Truesdell's "An Idiot's Fugitve Essays of Science" is also quite good. More dismissive in tone than Cajal's, but a refreshing perspective, IMO.

Other than that, there's lot's of "career development" materials available on the internets, usually though professional societies.

7. Jun 28, 2008 #6
    I have a book on my shelf called "Writing your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day" by Joan Bolker. It is really more about the writing-up process, but I recall it being a decent read.

One of the first things it says is "Of course, you can't actually write your dissertation in fifteen minutes a day...". I wanted my money back! :lol:

8. Aug 22, 2008 #7
  9. Aug 24, 2008 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

terence tao has a great article on his webpage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?