Books on doing graduate research

In summary, any recommendations for books about how to do research would be helpful. Ramon y Cajal's "Advice to a Young Investigator" and Truesdell's "An Idiot's Fugitve Essays of Science" are both good reads. Tao's article is also a good source of information.
Signifier
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recommend books useful for learning how to "do research," to put it bluntly. Almost all the books I could find at my school's wimpy liberal arts library seem concerned with doing research to write a research paper for a class, not on actually doing research on a scientific problem, IE trying to create a literature review etc. for a thesis.

Any recommendations? What books do grad students read on "how to do research"?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to know too. I didn't have one, and I'd like to have one to suggest to others!

I have Pat Cryer's "The Research Student's Guide to Success". Its mainly for British Postgrad research students though, but is written with a broad range of subjects in mind and is very general about the methods and practices you need to develop if you want to do well in research.

I have read a few that you may like:

Ramon y Cajal's "Advice to a Young Investigator" is really good, and probably exactly what you are looking for.

Truesdell's "An Idiot's Fugitve Essays of Science" is also quite good. More dismissive in tone than Cajal's, but a refreshing perspective, IMO.

Other than that, there's lot's of "career development" materials available on the internets, usually though professional societies.

I have a book on my shelf called "Writing your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day" by Joan Bolker. It is really more about the writing-up process, but I recall it being a decent read.

One of the first things it says is "Of course, you can't actually write your dissertation in fifteen minutes a day...". I wanted my money back! :lol:

terence tao has a great article on his webpage.

1. What is the purpose of books on doing graduate research?

Books on doing graduate research serve as a guide for graduate students to navigate the research process, from selecting a topic to conducting experiments and writing a thesis or dissertation.

2. How can books on doing graduate research benefit me?

Books on doing graduate research can provide valuable insights and tips from experienced researchers, help you develop critical thinking skills, and teach you how to effectively communicate your ideas and findings.

3. Are books on doing graduate research only for students in specific fields?

No, books on doing graduate research can be beneficial for students in any field as they cover general research principles and techniques that can be applied to various disciplines.

4. Can books on doing graduate research replace the guidance of a mentor or advisor?

No, books on doing graduate research should be used as a supplement to the guidance of a mentor or advisor. They can provide additional resources and perspectives, but it is important to seek guidance from a knowledgeable and experienced individual in your field.

5. Are books on doing graduate research constantly updated to reflect current research practices?

Yes, authors of books on doing graduate research often update their publications to reflect the most current research practices and technologies. It is important to check for the publication date and any updates or revisions before purchasing a book.