Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean operators in SQL - Correct Syntax?

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

Trying to write an SQL query for the Sloan Digital Sky Survey that uses the NOT operator, and failing miserably.

Basically, I'm making photometric cuts in 4-d colour space, and I currently have a selection of inequalities that select enclosed regions of colour space.

However, I now want to NOT that triangle, and select everything but that triangle, whilst still specifying a simple 'must be bluer than:...' colour cut.

The problem is that I can't get the query to return the data with the missing triangle, it simply selects all blue items.

This is what I've tried so far:

(This is in the WHERE clause)

and (P.psfmag_u-P.psfmag_g) < 0.55
    and NOT ( (P.psfmag_u-P.psfmag_g) >= (1.27*(P.psfmag_g- P.psfmag_r) + 0.25)
    and (P.psfmag_u-P.psfmag_g) <= ((3.9*(P.psfmag_g-P.psfmag_r)) + 1.8)

and (P.psfmag_g- P.psfmag_r) > (1.6*(P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) - 0.05)
    and (P.psfmag_g- P.psfmag_r) < (1.28*(P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) + 0.25)
    and (P.psfmag_g- P.psfmag_r) < (-1.45*(P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) + 0.2)
    and (P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) > (3.73*(P.psfmag_i- P.psfmag_z) - 0.24)
    and (P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) < (0.725*(P.psfmag_i- P.psfmag_z) + 0.18)

and (P.psfmag_r-P.psfmag_i) between -0.45 and 0.15
    and (P.psfmag_i-P.psfmag_z) between -0.6 and 0.1)

Any help would be appreciated, I'm relatively new to SQL and I'm struggling to find a workaround.

The syntax checks out as being 'ok', but clearly the results aren't.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is:
    1. we do not know what any of those fields are - ie. what they represent
    so other than seeing that you dont appear to have mutual exclusion
    we can't tell what is going on.
    2. what makes "blue"
    3. the syntax is correct

I would take an iteratvie approach. Comment out all but the top 2 lines. See what you get for your resultset. Keep adding back a line at a time. Another approach is to take the NOT clause and make it a SQL state (lose the NOT) and see what the resultset is.

If the tabls is gigantic, create a view that is a subset, and run the test queries against the view.

4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply, the problem is I now don't understand your questions in able to answer them :rofl:. This is the problem with only having used SQL in a limited capacity.

If by fields you mean the psfmag's, these are just the magnitudes of the stars in the SDSS 5 colour bands (ugriz).
    The line that defines 'blue' is the first line, " and (P.psfmag_u-P.psfmag_g) < 0.55 ". I'll just knock something up in Photoshop to show you what I mean pictorially.
    http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9741/wdselectionlinests5.jpg This is the cut in u-g vs. g-r space, basically the top three lines. I'm trying to exclude the triangle in the middle, and take everything else, that is also less than u-g = 0.55.
    As for taking the NOT clause and making it an SQL state - that's the bit I don't understand, what's an sql state?

Very grateful for the response :D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  5. Jan 28, 2008 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My bad - I mean a SQL statement - not a SQL state. I'm thinking that you are unintentionally excluding data. The easiest way to deal with it is to make small changes.

You can also use a construct like
    Code (Text):

select stuff from table
    minus
    select other_stuff from table ;

which is logically equivalent to the NOT, but allows you to take each sub-query and run it independently to see what you get as a resultset.

Plus, this may seem like a stupid question, but: are you postive that you loaded the table(s) correctly?

6. Jan 30, 2008 #5

-Job-

Science Advisor

My first question would be - if you take out the condition that filters out non-blue items, does it select all the items except the ones in the triangle?

7. Jan 31, 2008 #6
    Thanks for the replies people.

Well, we accidentally stumbled upon the solution, basically through a little educated guess work and trial & error.

After stripping back the NOT clause so that it just dealt with u-g vs. g-r colour space, it worked perfectly.

Going with this, we then separated the NOT clause so that there was a separate clause for each 2-D colour space, and this worked perfectly.

So the final query looked like this:

and (P.psfmag_u-P.psfmag_g) < 0.55
    and NOT ((P.psfmag_u-P.psfmag_g) >= (1.27*(P.psfmag_g- P.psfmag_r) + 0.25)
    and (P.psfmag_u-P.psfmag_g) <= ((3.9*(P.psfmag_g-P.psfmag_r)) + 1.8))

and NOT ((P.psfmag_g- P.psfmag_r) > (1.6*(P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) - 0.05)
    and (P.psfmag_g- P.psfmag_r) < (1.28*(P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) + 0.25)
    and (P.psfmag_g- P.psfmag_r) < (-1.45*(P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) + 0.2))

and NOT ((P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) > (3.73*(P.psfmag_i- P.psfmag_z) - 0.24)
    and (P.psfmag_r- P.psfmag_i) < (0.725*(P.psfmag_i- P.psfmag_z) + 0.18)
    and (P.psfmag_r-P.psfmag_i) between -0.45 and 0.15)

So, this is fine, as it works, but I'll be damned if I can work out why it works, and that's quite unsatisfying in its own way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?