Boundary condition 1D beam

In summary: Your English is fine.In summary, the conversation discusses a question about boundary conditions in a one dimensional beam subject to compression and tension forces. It outlines the different boundary conditions for a beam fixed at x=0 and x=L, and explains how the sign of the force changes depending on the direction of the force. It also mentions the importance of showing the direction of the forces in a sketch to avoid confusion.
papanatas
Hi! I have a question related to boundary condition in a one dimensional beam subject to compression and traction efforts.

In my class notes I have the following: If we consider a 1D beam of length L which is fixed at x=0 and subject to an effort F at x=0 we have the following boundary condition depending if the effort is a compression or a traction effort:

[itex] u(0)=0 ; SE(L) \frac{du}{dx}(L)=F [/itex] if F is a traction effort[itex] u(0)=0 ; SE(L) \frac{du}{dx}(L)=-F [/itex] if F is a traction effort

Where S is the beam section and E is the Young constant.My question is the following: what happens with boundary conditions if the beam is fixed not in x=0 but in x=L? In my opinion it would be the following:

[itex] u(L)=0 ; SE(0) \frac{du}{dx}(0)=-F [/itex] if F is a traction effort[itex] u(L)=0 ; SE(0) \frac{du}{dx}(0)=F [/itex] if F is a traction effort

What I did was simply put "0" instead of "L" and change the F sign: in this situation F would be positive if we have a compression effort and negative if we have a traction one. Is this correct?

Thank you very much and sorry for my English...

Physics news on Phys.org
papanatas said:
Hi! I have a question related to boundary condition in a one dimensional beam subject to compression and traction
the proper term here in English is tension, not traction.
In my class notes I have the following: If we consider a 1D beam of length L which is fixed at x=0 and subject to an effort F at x=0 we have the following boundary condition depending if the effort is a compression or a traction tension effort:

[itex] u(0)=0 ; SE(L) \frac{du}{dx}(L)=F [/itex] if F is a traction tension effort[itex] u(0)=0 ; SE(L) \frac{du}{dx}(L)=-F [/itex] if F is a traction compression effort

Where S is the beam section and E is the Young constant.
S is the area of the beam's cross section, usually called 'A'.
My question is the following: what happens with boundary conditions if the beam is fixed not in x=0 but in x=L? In my opinion it would be the following:

[itex] u(L)=0 ; SE(0) \frac{du}{dx}(0)=-F [/itex] if F is a traction tension effort[itex] u(L)=0 ; SE(0) \frac{du}{dx}(0)=F [/itex] if F is a tractioncompression effort

What I did was simply put "0" instead of "L" and change the F sign: in this situation F would be positive if we have a compression effort and negative if we have a tractiontension one. Is this correct?
assuming forces pointing right are positive and left negative, then, yes. Other conventions assume that tension forces are positive and compression forces are negative. That's why it's best to show the direction of the forces in a sketch.
Thank you very much and sorry for my English...
No apology necessary.

1. What is a boundary condition for a 1D beam?

A boundary condition for a 1D beam is a set of constraints that are applied at the ends of the beam to determine its behavior and interactions with external forces.

2. Why is it important to consider boundary conditions for 1D beams?

Boundary conditions are crucial for accurately modeling and analyzing the behavior of 1D beams. They help determine the reactions and deformations at the ends of the beam, which ultimately affect its overall stability and performance.

3. What are the types of boundary conditions for 1D beams?

The three main types of boundary conditions for 1D beams are fixed, pinned, and roller. Fixed boundary conditions restrict both translation and rotation, pinned boundary conditions restrict rotation but allow translation, and roller boundary conditions restrict translation but allow rotation.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the deflection of a 1D beam?

Boundary conditions directly affect the deflection of a 1D beam by influencing the reactions at the ends of the beam. Different boundary conditions will result in different reaction forces, which in turn affect the deflection and bending moments along the beam.

5. Can boundary conditions be changed during analysis?

Yes, boundary conditions can be changed during analysis to test different scenarios and understand the effects on the behavior of the 1D beam. However, it is important to note that changing boundary conditions can significantly alter the results and should be done with caution and proper understanding of the beam's behavior.