1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary Conditions for an inviscid fluid at a fixed boundary

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    This is my first post so I hope this in the right place. I am fairly sure this is quite a straight forward question but I having trouble working out the details of it.

"State the boundary conditions for an inviscid fluid at an impermeable fixed boundary

[tex] x_3-h(x_1,x_3)=0 [/tex]

where we do not permit normal velocity but permit non-zero tangential velocity"

So my attempt is quite limited as I feel if I could get started I'd be able to make some progress. But I believe that since the wall is stationary then the velocity of the fluid at the wall must also be stationary. And since it says that normal velocity is zero i guess this means that in the [itex] x_3 [/itex] direction the velocity is always zero.
    so:
    [tex] \mathbf{u}\cdot \mathbf{\hat x}_3 =0[/tex]
    Then the velocity of the fluid only has components in the other two directions...
    I was then also thinking that the [itex] \hat x_1 [/itex] component of velocity wouldn't change with [itex] x_1 [/itex] but I am not really sure why I think that. I am just getting a bit confused as you might be able to tell, any help would be really appreciated!

Edit: I am also not sure why my tex commands aren't working so if somebody could point out what I am doing wrong that would also be great...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

That boundary seems an unnecessary complicated way to write [itex]g(x_1,x_3) = 0[/itex]. Does the question actually say
    [tex]
    x_3 - h(x_1, x_2) = 0
    [/tex]
    which would make sense as the upper boundary of a fluid layer of variable depth?

For an inviscid fluid only the normal component must be stationary relative to the wall.

If the normal to the boundary were in the [itex]x_3[/itex] direction this would be correct, but that's not necessarily the case.

Following the question as written, the first thing is to define
    [tex]
    g(x_1,x_3) = x_3 - h(x_1,x_3)
    [/tex]
    so that the boundary is at [itex]g(x_1,x_3) = 0[/itex]. The boundary is then a contour of [itex]g[/itex], so the direction normal to the boundary is given by
    [tex]
    \nabla g = \frac{\partial g}{\partial x_1} \hat{\mathbf{x}}_1 + \frac{\partial g}{\partial x_3} \hat{\mathbf{x}}_3.
    [/tex]

The closing tag is [/tex] not [\tex].

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3
    Yeah, sorry! It is:
    [tex] x_3-h(x_1,x_2)=0[/tex]

So then in this case my direction normal would be:
    [tex]\nabla_h=\hat x_3 -\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_1} \hat x_1 -\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_2} \hat x_2 [/tex]
    and I can dot this with the velocity of the fluid to get zero. So that:
    [tex]\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla_h= \mathbf{u}\cdot\hat x_3 -\mathbf{u}\cdot \frac{\partial h}{\partial x_1} \hat x_1 - \mathbf{u}\cdot\frac{\partial h}{\partial x_2} \hat x_2=0 [/tex]
    This surely isn't the whole whole answer though is it?

Thanks for the reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted