1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary of {1/n : n is a natural number}

1. Dec 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to figure out the the boundary of the set of all 1/n, where n is a natural number.
    Consider this as a subset of R with its usual metric, nothing fancy.

2. Relevant equations
    There are at least two "equivalent" definitions of the boundary of a set:
    1. the boundary of a set A is the intersection of the closure of A and the closure of the complement of A.
    2. the boundary of a set A is the set of all elements x of R (in this case) such that every neighborhood of x contains at least one point in A and one point not in A.

3. The attempt at a solution\
    The problem is that I get a different solution depending on which definition I use. Please help me find my error!

Let A = {1/n : n is a natural number}.

If I use the definition 1 above:
    - closure of A = {0} union A (since 0 is the only accumulation point of A)
    - complement of A = (-infty,0] union [1,infty) union ( (0,1] - {1/n: n is a natural number} )
    - closure of the complement of A = (infty, 0] union [1, infty)
    union ( (0,1] - {1/n: n is a natural number} )
    (there are no accumulation points for the complement of A in the interval (0,1] )
    - hence the boundary of A is {0,1}

However! using definition 2 it is clear that:
    - every neighborhood of 0 contains a point of A (Archimedean property) and a point not in A
    - if x is an element of A then every neighborhood of x contains a point contains a point of A (namely x) and a point not in A.
    - hence the boundary of A is {0} union A.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2
    This sure doesn't sound right. Why isn't for example 1/2 an accumulation point for A complement?

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    Well, it most certainly is an accumulation point for A complement. Indeed, every member of A is an accumulation point for A complement. I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks!

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So A= {1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ...}. It should be obvious that, around each point in A is possible to construct a neighborhood with small enough radius (less than the distance to the next number in the sequence) that does not contain any other members of A. Thus, every point in A is a "boundary point". But there is one point [/b]not[/b] in A that is a boundary point of A. Can you think what that is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook