Boundary of a Mobius band - I think S1 V S1, everyone else says S1?

In summary, there was a disagreement about the boundary of a Mobius band being homotopic to S1 or S1*Z. The person asking the question couldn't figure out why they were getting different results. However, they later realized their mistake and that the boundary is actually homotopic to S1. Another method mentioned was using the fact that S1 is a retract of the Mobius band.
dumbQuestion
Boundary of a Mobius band - I think S1 V S1, everyone else says S1??

Hey I am having a huge problem! There are a few problems where I'm using Van Kampen's theorem and for one part of the problem I need to compute the fundamental group of the boundary of the Mobius band. Everyone keeps telling me this boundary is homotopic to S1 with fundamental group Z, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Every way I do it I end up getting the wedge of two circles and so have a fundamental group of Z*Z. Can someone tell me who is right and who is wrong?NEVERMIND! I figured it out. When I was drawing the boundary of the Mobius band, I was stupidly looking at the place where the lines "flip around" as a single point, and seeing that as the wedge point between two circles. Boy do I feel dumb!

Physics news on Phys.org
Something else you can do, other than SVK, is to use the fact that S1 is a retract of the Mobius Band, so that the two are homotopically equivalent.

What is the boundary of a Mobius band?

The boundary of a Mobius band is a single curve that runs along the entire length of the band. It is formed by the joining of the two edges of the band.

What is S1 V S1 in relation to a Mobius band?

S1 V S1 refers to the mathematical notation for the boundary of a Mobius band. It is a representation of the two joined edges of the band.

Why do some people say the boundary of a Mobius band is S1 V S1 while others say it is S1?

Both notations are correct and refer to the same concept. S1 V S1 is a more precise and specific notation, while S1 is a simplified version that may be more commonly used in certain contexts.

What does S1 stand for in relation to a Mobius band?

In this context, S1 stands for a circle or a one-dimensional sphere. It represents the curved edge of the Mobius band that forms its boundary.

How is the boundary of a Mobius band important in mathematics?

The boundary of a Mobius band is an important concept in topology and geometry. It is a fundamental example of a non-orientable surface and has various applications in fields such as physics and engineering.