Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary of an open set in R2 is a limit point?

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    I have kind of a simple point set topology question. If I am in ℝ2 and I have a connected open set, call it O, then is it true that all points on the boundary ∂O are limit points of O? I guess I'm stuck envisioning as O as, at least homeomorphic, to an open disk of radius epsilon. So it seems obvious that any points on the boundary would be limit points. But is that true in general?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Let [itex]U\subseteq \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] be connected and open and non empty. [itex]p\in \partial U[/itex] if and only if every neighborhood of [itex]p[/itex] contains both a point in [itex]U[/itex] (and in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}\setminus U[/itex] but we don't care about that here). Let [itex]p\in \partial U[/itex] and assume there exists a neighborhood [itex]V[/itex] of [itex]p[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] such that [itex]V\cap U = \left \{ p \right \}[/itex] (we know of course that [itex]U\supset \left \{ p \right \}[/itex]). This implies [itex]\left \{ p \right \}[/itex] is a non - empty proper clopen subset of [itex]U[/itex] which is a contradiction because [itex]U[/itex] is connected. Thus, [itex]p[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]U[/itex].

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    thank you very much!

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Should work for any Hausdorff connected space and not just euclidean space as far as I can see. Was there a particular reason for this question or did it just pop into your head for fun or something= D? Cheers!

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5

jgens

Gold Member

Unfortunately this does not work since open sets will not contain their boundary points. Luckily that observation gives us a way to fix the proof. All we now have to note is that the boundary point condition implies that every nbhd of p non-trivially intersects U - {p} = U.

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Totally missed that detail haha. Maybe the OP didn't mean to say open but another class of subsets because he was trying to use connectedness explicitly. Anyways, I gotta go to class now so cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook