1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounding the p-norms on l_p sequence subspaces!

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]1\leq r<\infty[/tex] and [tex]x\in\ell_{r}=\left\{ x \text{ is a sequence with } \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left\vert x_{n}\right\vert^{r} \text{ converges.}\right\}[/tex], then

[tex]\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{\infty}=\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty}\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{r}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already proven that for [tex]1\leq s\leq r\leq\infty[/tex] I can bound below by [tex]\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{\infty}\leq \left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{r}[/tex]. The other part wher I'm stuck is to bound above the r-norm. I haven't found something to do it. Obviously, the case for [tex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/tex] (the finite case if you considere the sequences case as "infinituples") is solved because you have something to do a bounding almost immediatly since

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left\vert x_{n}\right\vert^{r}=\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{r}^{r}\leq\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left\vert x_{m}\right\vert^{r}=n\left\vert x_{m}\right\vert^{r}=n\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{\infty}^{r}[/tex]

Obviously in sequences case [tex]n[/tex] makes not sense, and approximation like i have done above is not possible because a series of a constant sequence don't converge.

Proving what I can't prove the result of the problem follows immediatly because of the "Sandwich theorem" since if I have some quantity bounded above and below like this

[tex]\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{\infty}\leq\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{r}\leq c^{\frac{1}{r}}\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{\infty}[/tex] with [tex]c>0[/tex] and [tex]c\in\mathbb{R}[/tex]

and if I take the limit when [tex]r\rightarrow\infty[/tex] then

[tex]\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{\infty}\leq\lim_{r\rightarrow\infty}\left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{r}\leq \left\vert\left\vert x\right\vert\right\vert_{\infty}[/tex]

Then I would like you to say some ideas to do bounding above.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the sum of |x_i|^r converges, there is an N such that |x_i|^r<1/2 for all i>=N. That means |x_i|^(k*r)<(1/2)^(k-1)*|x_i|^r, right? So if A is the sum |x_i|^r for i from N to infinity, the sum of |x_i|^(k*r)<(1/2)^(k-1)*A. Now let k->infinity. I.e. the sum of the infinite tail of the sequence |x_i|^r vanishes as r->infinity. So ignore it. Now it's just like proving the finite case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook