What is the Definition of Derivative and How is it Proved?

In summary, the derivative of a function is the rate of change of the function at a specific point and represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point. It tells us how fast a function is changing, the direction of change, and the concavity of the function. The derivative is calculated using the limit definition and is useful in determining the shape of a graph and identifying key points. In science, derivatives are important for modeling and analyzing real-world phenomena and understanding how quantities change over time. They are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
Suppose ##f## is differentiable at ##a##. Prove ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a+h) - f(a)}{h} = f'(a)##
Relevant Equations
##f## is differentiable at ##a## means ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x-a}## exists and is finite.

##\lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x) = L## means for any sequence ##(x_n)## that converges to ##a##, we have ##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} g(x_n) = L##.

Alternatively, ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x) = L## means for all ##\varepsilon > 0## there exists ##\delta = \delta(\varepsilon) > 0## such that ##\vert x - a \vert < \delta## implies ##\vert g(x) - L \vert < \varepsilon##.
Proof: By definition of derivative,
$$f'(a) = \lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f(x) - f(a)}{x - a}$$
exists and is finite. Let ##(x_n)## be any sequence that converges to ##a##. By definition of limit, we have $$\lim_{x_n\rightarrow a} \frac{f(x_n) - f(a)}{x_n - a} = f'(a)$$. By definition of convergence, for all ##\varepsilon > 0## there exists ##N = N(\varepsilon) > 0## such that ##n > N## implies ##\vert x_n - a \vert < \varepsilon##, i.e. ##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (x_n - a) = 0##. Let ##h = x_n - a##? Then
$$\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a + h) - f(a)}{h} = f'(a)$$. []

I'm pretty sure this is wrong because I said ##h = x_n - a##, but ##h## is a constant and ##x_n - a## is a sequence.. also I don't think I can substitute ##h## under the limit like I did, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are mixing two characterisations of limits. I think it is better to work with the ordinary ##\epsilon-\delta##-definition of limit in this case, and not with the sequential characterisation. But the right idea can definitely be observed in your proof, although as written it contains multiple mistakes. Here is how I would write it:

Let ##\epsilon > 0##. Since ##f'(a)## exists, there is ##\delta > 0## such that

$$\forall x \in\mathbb{R}: \left(0 < |x-a| < \delta \implies \left|\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}-f'(a)\right| < \epsilon\right) \quad (*)$$

Let ##h \in \mathbb{R}## with ##0< |h|= |h-0| <\delta##. Then

$$\left|\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}-f'(a)\right| < \epsilon$$

since ##|(a+h)-a| = |h| < \delta## (i.e. we apply ##(*)## with ##x= a+h##).

Thus, we have proven that for each ##\epsilon >0##, there is ##\delta > 0## such that for all ##h \in \mathbb{R}## with ##0 < |h| < \delta##, we have ##\left|\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}-f'(a)\right|< \epsilon##.

This is precisely the definition of ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h} = f'(a)## and we are done!

Similar exercise, to see if you understood this one:

Show that for a function ##f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}## and a real number ##x \in \mathbb{R}##:

$$\lim_{h \to 0} f(x+h) \mathrm{\ exists \ and \ equals \ } f(x) \iff \lim_{y \to x} f(y) \mathrm{\ exists \ and \ equals \ } f(x)$$

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2 and fishturtle1
Math_QED said:
You are mixing two characterisations of limits. I think it is better to work with the ordinary ##\epsilon-\delta##-definition of limit in this case, and not with the sequential characterisation. But the right idea can definitely be observed in your proof, although as written it contains multiple mistakes. Here is how I would write it:

Let ##\epsilon > 0##. Since ##f'(a)## exists, there is ##\delta > 0## such that

$$\forall x \in\mathbb{R}: \left(0 < |x-a| < \delta \implies \left|\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}-f'(a)\right| < \epsilon\right) \quad (*)$$

Let ##h \in \mathbb{R}## with ##0< |h|= |h-0| <\delta##. Then

$$\left|\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}-f'(a)\right| < \epsilon$$

since ##|(a+h)-a| = |h| < \delta## (i.e. we apply ##(*)## with ##x= a+h##).

Thus, we have proven that for each ##\epsilon >0##, there is ##\delta > 0## such that for all ##h \in \mathbb{R}## with ##0 < |h| < \delta##, we have ##\left|\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}-f'(a)\right|< \epsilon##.

This is precisely the definition of ##\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h} = f'(a)## and we are done!

Similar exercise, to see if you understood this one:

Show that for a function ##f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}## and a real number ##x \in \mathbb{R}##:

$$\lim_{h \to 0} f(x+h) \mathrm{\ exists \ and \ equals \ } f(x) \iff \lim_{y \to x} f(y) \mathrm{\ exists \ and \ equals \ } f(x)$$
Thank you so much, this clears up my confusion.

Edit: just read the edit, will try.

Likes member 587159
Show that for a function ##f : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## and a real number ##x \in \mathbb{R}##:
##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}f(x+h)## exists and equals ##f(x) \iff \lim_{y\rightarrow x}f(y)## exists and equals ##f(x)##.

Proof: ##(\Rightarrow)## Let ##\varepsilon > 0##. Then there is ##\delta = \delta(\varepsilon) > 0## such that $$\vert h - 0 \vert < \delta$$ implies $$\vert f(x+h) - f(x) \vert < \varepsilon$$ Then, for all ##y \in \mathbb{R}##, if $$\vert y - x \vert = \vert h \vert < \delta$$ we have $$\vert f(x + (y - x)) - f(x) \vert = \vert f(y) - f(x) \vert < \varepsilon$$ This shows that ##\lim_{y \rightarrow x} f(y) = f(x)##.

##(\Leftarrow)## Let ##\varepsilon > 0##. Then there is ##\delta = \delta(\varepsilon) > 0## such that for any ##y \in \mathbb{R}##, if $$\vert y - x \vert < \delta$$ then $$\vert f(y) - f(x) \vert < \varepsilon$$
So, for any ##h \in \mathbb{R}##, if
$$\vert h - 0 \vert = \vert y - x \vert < \delta$$
then
$$\vert f(x + h) - f(x) \vert < \varepsilon$$
This shows ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(x + h) = f(x)##. []

Likes member 587159
fishturtle1 said:
Proof: ##(\Rightarrow)## Let ##\varepsilon > 0##. Then there is ##\delta = \delta(\varepsilon) > 0## such that $$\vert h - 0 \vert < \delta$$ implies $$\vert f(x+h) - f(x) \vert < \varepsilon$$ Then, for all ##y \in \mathbb{R}##, if $$\vert y - x \vert = \vert h \vert < \delta$$ we have $$\vert f(x + (y - x)) - f(x) \vert = \vert f(y) - f(x) \vert < \varepsilon$$ This shows that ##\lim_{y \rightarrow x} f(y) = f(x)##.

##(\Leftarrow)## Let ##\varepsilon > 0##. Then there is ##\delta = \delta(\varepsilon) > 0## such that for any ##y \in \mathbb{R}##, if $$\vert y - x \vert < \delta$$ then $$\vert f(y) - f(x) \vert < \varepsilon$$
So, for any ##h \in \mathbb{R}##, if
$$\vert h - 0 \vert = \vert y - x \vert < \delta$$
then
$$\vert f(x + h) - f(x) \vert < \varepsilon$$
This shows ##\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(x + h) = f(x)##. []

Correct! But I would change the part"##|y-x|=|h|<\delta##" simply to "##|y-x|<\delta##" because you didn't define ##h## anywhere. You can just add a line with "we apply the previous inequality with ##h=y-x##" to make it clear what you are doing. But this is just a small nitpick. Everybody will understand what you are doing and that'the most important thing.

Likes fishturtle1
Math_QED said:
Correct! But I would change the part"##|y-x|=|h|<\delta##" simply to "##|y-x|<\delta##" because you didn't define ##h## anywhere. You can just add a line with "we apply the previous inequality with ##h=y-x##" to make it clear what you are doing. But this is just a small nitpick. Everybody will understand what you are doing and that'the most important thing.
OK, I see what you mean. Thank you again for your help.

:oldconfused: Is it just me, am I the only one missing the point of all this?:olduhh:

The student states what differentiable means, states the definition of f', to prove the required formula is a trivial substitution in the definition formula, the two formulae say the same thing really.

What am I missin?

Likes vanhees71
epenguin said:
:oldconfused: Is it just me, am I the only one missing the point of all this?:olduhh:

The student states what differentiable means, states the definition of f', to prove the required formula is a trivial substitution in the definition formula, the two formulae say the same thing really.

What am I missin?

Yes, the two formulae say the same thing formally. But one must prove formally that one is allowed to make the substitution. This is the whole point of the exercise.

1. What is the definition of derivative?

The derivative of a function is a measure of how that function changes as its input changes. It is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph.

2. How is the derivative calculated?

The derivative is calculated by finding the limit of the slope of a secant line as the distance between two points on the function's graph approaches zero. This is known as the limit definition of the derivative.

3. What is the relationship between the derivative and the original function?

The derivative and the original function are related by the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of a function is the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph, and the integral of a function is the area under the curve of that function.

4. What are some real-world applications of the derivative?

The derivative has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, to optimize functions in engineering and economics, and to model and predict data in statistics.

5. Can the derivative be negative?

Yes, the derivative can be negative. A negative derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, while a positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing. A derivative of zero indicates that the function is not changing at that point.