Bowling ball, incline and torque

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a bowling ball rolling up an incline, and the use of torque in solving problems. The conversation also includes questions about finding the center of mass and calculating distance using torque. The expert summarizer advises using the equation x_{cm} = \frac{m_{1}x_{1} + m_{2}x_{2}}{m_{1} + m_{2}} to find the x coordinate of the center of mass and reminds the asker to consider different origins when solving the problem.
Niles

Homework Statement

If we look at a bowling-ball rolling up an uncline without slipping, I have to find the acceleration of this. I was wondering:

May I choose by myself where to look at the torque? I mean, can I decide by myself whether I look at the center of the ball where the sum of the torque is the friction_force *radius or if I want to look at the point where the ball and the ground touch each other and where gravity is the only force in the torque? I just use parallelaxis-theorem in this case.

I hope you understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

If we look at a bowling-ball rolling up an uncline without slipping, I have to find the acceleration of this. I was wondering:

May I choose by myself where to look at the torque? I mean, can I decide by myself whether I look at the center of the ball where the sum of the torque is the friction_force *radius or if I want to look at the point where the ball and the ground touch each other and where gravity is the only force in the torque? I just use parallelaxis-theorem in this case.

I hope you understand.

The one which you are telling about the center.That is correct but the one where you are considering the torque about the point of contact there you do have to consider mgsin(angle of inclination) which acts on the center of mass parallel to the inclined surface

Cool, thanks.

I have two new questions. Take a look at the picture.

1) I want to find the distance using torque. I know that the sum of the torque must equal zero for the meter stick not to rotate. What is the first thing to do, if I want to approach this problem that way? (I know I can find the center of gravity, but this way of approach seems better in my case).

2) (Not related to the picture) If I have a stick of 1 m and a stone attached the one end, where do I have to put the origin to calculate the center of mass? Is it in the middle of the stick?

Attachments

• torque.PNG
    torque.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Niles said:
Cool, thanks.

I have two new questions. Take a look at the picture.

1) I want to find the distance using torque. I know that the sum of the torque must equal zero for the meter stick not to rotate. What is the first thing to do, if I want to approach this problem that way? (I know I can find the center of gravity, but this way of approach seems better in my case).

2) (Not related to the picture) If I have a stick of 1 m and a stone attached the one end, where do I have to put the origin to calculate the center of mass? Is it in the middle of the stick?

I cannot see the diagram so i am not able to answer the first.

For the Second i am not able to understand the question.
Do you mean to find out the center of mass of the system?
You can do it by integration or by just applying the equation

[tex]x_{cm} = \frac{m_{1}x_{1} + m_{2}x_{2}}{m_{1} + m_{2}}[/tex]

Where m1 is the mass of the stick and m2 is the mass of the stone and x1 and x2 are the x coordinates of the center of mass of the stick and the stone respectively.This will give you the x coordinate of the centre of mass of the system.

FedEx said:
I cannot see the diagram so i am not able to answer the first.

For the Second i am not able to understand the question.
Do you mean to find out the center of mass of the system?
You can do it by integration or by just applying the equation

[tex]x_{cm} = \frac{m_{1}x_{1} + m_{2}x_{2}}{m_{1} + m_{2}}[/tex]

Where m1 is the mass of the stick and m2 is the mass of the stone and x1 and x2 are the x coordinates of the center of mass of the stick and the stone respectively.This will give you the x coordinate of the centre of mass of the system.

Ok, thanks. Does it matter, where I put my origin and find the x's from there?

All the coordinates are wrt to the origin.

I am not telling anything further.Its not that i am unwilling to explain it to you.But you will understand it better if you carry on this prob from the statement given above.

You will have to check your answer for various situations of the origin.

1. How does the incline affect the motion of a bowling ball?

The incline affects the motion of a bowling ball by changing the angle at which the ball is released. This changes the initial velocity and direction of the ball, causing it to roll on a curved path rather than a straight line.

2. How does torque apply to a bowling ball rolling down an incline?

Torque is the rotational force that is applied to an object. In the case of a bowling ball rolling down an incline, torque is applied by the force of gravity acting on the ball. This torque causes the ball to rotate and move down the incline.

3. How does the weight of a bowling ball affect its motion on an incline?

The weight of a bowling ball affects its motion on an incline by determining the amount of force needed to move the ball up the incline. A heavier ball will require more force to move it up the incline, while a lighter ball will require less force.

4. What is the relationship between the incline angle and the amount of torque on a bowling ball?

The relationship between the incline angle and the amount of torque on a bowling ball is directly proportional. As the incline angle increases, the amount of torque applied to the ball also increases. This is because a steeper incline will cause the ball to roll faster and require more force to stop it.

5. How does the surface of the incline affect the motion of a bowling ball?

The surface of the incline can affect the motion of a bowling ball in several ways. A smoother surface will cause less friction and allow the ball to roll faster, while a rougher surface will create more friction and slow the ball down. Additionally, a surface with an uneven or curved shape can cause the ball to change direction or spin as it rolls down the incline.