Ball rolls without slipping in an accelerating car

In summary, the bowling ball will have an acceleration of 2a/7 in the accelerated frame of the subway car.
astrocytosis

Homework Statement

A bowling ball sits on the smooth floor of a subway car. If the car has a horizontal acceleration a, what is the acceleration of the ball? Assume that the ball rolls without slipping.

Homework Equations

torque = R x F = Iα
aball= Rα
Isphere = (2/5) MR2

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a simple problem but I'm struggling with it. If the ball is rolling without slipping, then there must be some friction force ƒ causing a torque on the ball equal to Rƒ = (2/5) MR2 * (aball/R). It's not on a ramp so the weight of the ball doesn't contribute to the torque. I guess I just can't figure out how to relate the acceleration of the car to all of this.

I had a thought that without friction, in the frame of the car, the ball would simply be accelerating at the same rate as the car, so the difference in acceleration must somehow be the result of friction. Friction here is ƒ = (2/5)Maball, so the difference in net force on the ball in the cases with and without friction is macar-maball=ƒ. But solving for the acceleration here does not get me the right answer so this reasoning must be flawed.

The correct answer according to the text is 2a/7. With my reasoning I get 5a/7.

Physics news on Phys.org
The approach is good, you have two equations with two unknowns. Apparently something went wrong in the calculations you didn’t show.

Macar-Maball = (2/5) Maball

M (mass of ball) cancels

acar=aball + (2/5) aball = (7/5) aball

So aball = (5/7) acar.

Am I missing something in this equation?

You can get the answer by doing the problem correctly in the accelerated frame. In that frame, there is a fictitious force ##F=m_{ball}~a_{car}## acting in a direction opposite to the actual acceleration of the car. This force generates a torque ##\tau## about the point of contact P. Write the torque equation ##\tau = I_P~\alpha_{ball}## where ##I_P## is the moment of inertia about point P, not the center of the ball. Solve the equation and the correct answer will plop out.

By the parallel axis theorem, IP = (2/5)MR2 + MR2 = (7/5)MR2

Then the torque is (7/5)MR2 *(aball/R) = R*F = RMcar

I'm still getting aball = 5acar/7 when I solve this equation, though.

Don't forget that the aball calculated this way is in the accelerated non-inertial frame. What is it in the inertial frame of the track?

Likes astrocytosis
Oh I see... I just have to subtract the acceleration of the car then. Thanks!

What is the concept of "ball rolls without slipping in an accelerating car"?

The concept refers to the phenomenon where a ball placed on the floor of an accelerating car will roll forward without slipping, regardless of the speed of the car.

Why does the ball roll without slipping in an accelerating car?

This is due to the two forces acting on the ball - the force of friction between the ball and the floor, and the force of acceleration from the car. These two forces work together to allow the ball to roll without slipping.

What factors affect the ball's rolling behavior in an accelerating car?

The main factors that affect the ball's rolling behavior are the coefficient of friction between the ball and the floor, the mass and size of the ball, and the acceleration of the car.

Is the ball's rolling behavior affected by the direction of the car's acceleration?

Yes, the direction of the car's acceleration will impact the direction in which the ball rolls. If the car accelerates forward, the ball will roll forward without slipping. If the car accelerates backwards, the ball will roll backwards without slipping.

Is the ball's rolling behavior affected by the shape of the car?

No, the shape of the car does not directly impact the ball's rolling behavior. However, the shape of the car may indirectly affect the ball's behavior by altering the direction or magnitude of the car's acceleration.