1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Box with mass attached to spring and board

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 0.580Kg wood block is firmly attached to a very light horizontal spring. It is noted that the block-spring system (k=160N/m), when compressed 4.0cm and released, stretches out 0.9 cm beyond the equilibrium position before stopping and turning back.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Mechanical Energy

KEf+PEf=KEi+PEi

and

1/2kx^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, What I tried to do is solve for the work of friction using

(coefficient of friction)(Normal Force)(d)=1/2k(xf-xi)^2. However, I do not understand what the problem is asking as far as distances. I converted the distance to m but I still do not know what they mean by compressed for 4 cm. Does that mean they pushed it 4 cm forward. Let it go and it went past its resting point .9 cm. If so is .9 negative? or is 4 cm negative?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be correct.

However, you have failed to state what the question is asking you to find.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3
    what im looking for is the coefficient of friction.

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh right. Looking back at the question, is doesn't matter which (extension/compression) you choose as positive and which you choose as negative provided that one is positive and one is negative.

Your approach is correct by the way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?