Brain not working on this problem

• Thread starter wxrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, you are trying to design a new well for an old Meriam Well-type manometer and are confused about what size the well should be and how high it should be.
wxrocks
I am working on a repair for an old Meriam Well-type manometer and I am being a bit lazy on thinking/writing out my problem. I am trying to design a new well for it.

My question is -- am I right in thinking the well should have a large diameter and a low height so that the fluid pressure won't affect my readings much? Meaning, if I made a smaller tank and had a long tube out the bottom and had it loop back up to the manometer, the fluid pressure would "push back" on the well, thus it would take more "real pressure" before I got a reading -- or in other words my readings would be low?

The fluid has a specific grav of 2.95, so it is fairly "heavy"

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since I have no idea what you're talking about, could you express the question in layman's terms? I don't know what a 'manometer' is, or what a 'well' has to do with it. If you tell me, however, I might be able to help. (And yes, I know that it sounds stupid, but sometimes it works for me.)

Here is a picture of a well manometer. Obviously, it works much like a u-tube in that you are measuring the weight of the fluid in the tall tube, and thus the pressure at the bottom. The well is where the (in this case) air pressure is applied, pushing the fluid in the well down. The well level needs to change little to make it negligible. If it chaged more (such as if the tank were smaller) then my "zero" on the other side would change and I would need to measure more fluid in the tube to get a true pressure reading.

I just want to verify the physics on the "well" side. I get it now -- by looking at a book that had examples of the pressure at various points in the system.

Thanks!

Attachments

• manometer-intro2_pic.gif
    manometer-intro2_pic.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 501
Danger does it again! Man, he's good. :biggrin:

1. What causes the brain to have difficulty solving a problem?

There are many factors that can contribute to the brain having difficulty solving a problem. These can include fatigue, stress, lack of motivation, and distractions. Additionally, some people may have learning disabilities or neurological conditions that can affect their problem-solving abilities.

2. Can lack of sleep affect the brain's ability to solve problems?

Yes, lack of sleep can significantly impact the brain's ability to solve problems. When we are sleep-deprived, our cognitive functions, including problem-solving, are impaired. It can also make it harder for us to focus and concentrate, making it more challenging to come up with solutions to problems.

3. How can I improve my brain's problem-solving abilities?

There are several ways to improve your brain's problem-solving abilities. Some strategies include getting enough sleep, reducing stress and distractions, practicing mindfulness and meditation, and engaging in regular exercise. Additionally, challenging your brain with puzzles, brain teasers, and new activities can also help improve problem-solving skills.

4. Can genetics play a role in the brain's problem-solving abilities?

Yes, genetics can play a role in the brain's problem-solving abilities. Some people may be naturally better at problem-solving due to their genetic makeup. However, it is essential to note that environmental factors and personal experiences also play a significant role in shaping our problem-solving abilities.

5. Are there any foods or supplements that can help improve problem-solving abilities?

While a healthy diet and certain supplements can support brain function, there is no specific food or supplement that can directly improve problem-solving abilities. However, foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and B vitamins may help support overall brain health, which can indirectly improve problem-solving abilities.