Brains for Theoretical physics

In summary, making a significant contribution to the world of theoretical physics, on the same level as Relativity, requires a high level of intelligence. Only a small percentage of people, around 1/240, are able to produce groundbreaking work in theoretical physics during their PhDs. It is also important to note that 2 standard deviations above average represents the top 2.3% and 3 standard deviations represents the top 0.1% in a normal distribution. Intelligence is difficult to measure and there is a lot of individual variation. While not everyone can be a legendary physicist like Einstein, there are still many people capable of making significant contributions to the field. The only way to know for sure is to try.
genius01
Does one need to be relatively super intelligent (to a human that is average) to make a significant contribution to the world of theoretical physics ie something on the same caliber as Relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am convinced that someone needs to be pretty smart (say, top 25%) to be even able to comprehend graduate level physics. Of these, only 50% will complete a PhD.

Of these, 2/3 will be doing experimental work. Of the 1/3 that do theoretical work, probably only 10% do something groundbreaking.

So you have 1/240 people do something groundbreaking in theoretical physics in their PhDs.

Note that 2 standard deviations above average is "top 5%" and 3 standard deviations is "top 2.5%".

chill_factor said:
Note that 2 standard deviations above average is "top 5%" and 3 standard deviations is "top 2.5%".

I'm not going to comment on your other estimates, but what you wrote here is wrong. In a normal distribution, 2 s.d.s above the mean represents the top 2.3% or so. 3 s.d.s represents the top 0.1% or so. Remember, you're talking about a single (upper) tail here.

Ok thank you. I never took statistics as a class and just learned it on the side in lab classes. I'm a grad student in physics, and if my skill in statistics reflects my overall intellect, its clear that not everyone can do high level physics even in classes, let alone produce groundbreaking research in theoretical physics.

It is also clear that the vast majority of people in theoretical physics do not produce groundbreaking work. If they did the work would no longer be groundbreaking.

Not even the genius down the street is coming up with anything ground breaking in theoretical physics. Sure, being 'smart' goes hand in hand with being a physicist, but to produce work that is "ground-breaking" takes more than just smarts. I would say, most people producing ground-breaking work or who have, were wise men and women. Being smart was just something that aided them down their path.

What is a "significant contribution"?

If you're comparing the development of special relativity, which changed the entire foundation of modern physics, to the contribution the average physicist makes, then most people have contributed almost nothing.

However, it is totally possible for a competent physicist to make significant contributions to his/her field, but you must understand that these days ones field is often restrict to a very narrow and specific problem or problems.

You can't compare the work of modern physicists today to the work of the greats like Einstein or Newton or Maxwell, because Science today progresses by small steps, and not by great bounds like was possible in the early days.

What is intelligence? There is no adequate metric for intelligence. Some people cite IQ scores, but how is it the my mother got a higher IQ score than Richard Feynam, who "only" got a score of 125 (smart, but technically not highly gifted according to psychometrics, a field at which he scoffed), yet he was one of the greatest geniuses the scientific world has ever seen. There is too much individual variation. Hell, ask my mother; she was registered as highly gifted in school, but she wasn't an exceptional performer (granted, she probably had a learning disability).

Intelligence is as intelligence does. And, I might add, one is only going to find out if one is capable of being a great physicist by trying.

EDIT: To address the topic more directly, no, I don't think many are capable of being legendary physicists like Einstein. In fact, there has been research done at McMaster University that suggests that Einstein's peculiar neuroanatomy may have contributed to his genius.

Direct caliper measurements were made both from Einstein's brain and from the control brains. Other measurements were made from calibrated photographs. We measured baseline values for overall dimensions of the brain, including variables for which there are published data (e.g., weight, corpus callosum size); measures involving parietal regions important for visuospatial cognition and mathematical thinking; and, for comparison, measures of frontal and temporal regions. Statistically significant differences between Einstein and the control group were defined as those measures at least 2 SDs from the control mean.

http://lifescience.bioquant.com/gallery/the-exceptional-brain-of-Albert-einstein

However, there probably more people than you'd think capable of making a career out of physics and contributing in some way. Like I said, the only way to know for sure is to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that seeks to explain natural phenomena and make predictions about the universe using mathematical models and theoretical frameworks.

Why is the study of brains important in theoretical physics?

The study of brains is important in theoretical physics because it helps us understand the cognitive processes and neural networks involved in complex mathematical and theoretical thinking. This can provide insights into how scientists develop and test theories.

How does the brain process complex theoretical concepts?

The brain processes complex theoretical concepts through a combination of cognitive processes such as perception, attention, memory, and reasoning. These processes involve the activation of specific neural networks and the integration of information from different brain regions.

Can studying the brain help advance theoretical physics?

Yes, studying the brain can help advance theoretical physics by providing a better understanding of how the brain processes and assimilates complex theoretical concepts. This can lead to the development of new approaches and methods for studying theoretical physics.

Are there any notable scientists who have studied the connection between brains and theoretical physics?

Yes, there have been many notable scientists who have studied the connection between brains and theoretical physics, including Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and Roger Penrose. Their work has contributed greatly to our understanding of the brain's role in theoretical physics.