Can carbon dioxide be broken down into carbon monoxide and oxygen?

In summary, the authors were able to break down carbon dioxide into carbon monoxide and oxygen using a method that was inspired by photosynthesis. This is an active area of research that is still in its early stages but is promising.
Mzzed
I have recently seen a paper ( https://www.nature.com/articles/nenergy201787 ) that describes a method to break down carbon dioxide into carbon monoxide and oxygen. I would love to know how they were able to come up with a method such as this but unfortunately I didn't take chemistry in high school, which means I'm not doing it at uni either but I do have a physics/engineering background.

I was wondering which areas in chemistry I should study - any topics that would specifically cover this sort of thing. I would like to know how they design reactions such as this from scratch as I find it really interesting.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Looking at the abstract, it would seem like areas such as electrochemistry, catalysis and atomic layer deposition would be particularly relevant. But if you haven't got even high-school chemistry, these are likely to be meaningless to you. You need to get a grounding in the basic principles of chemistry which will come up in every area, such as valency, chemical bonding, redox reactions, the basic chemistry of the common elements (especially, in this context, carbon, copper and tin, but of course other transition metals might be relevant). The authors come up with ideas like this by having a sound knowledge of chemical principles, and a thorough knowledge of the specific area they are researching (e.g. the catalytic reduction of CO2), plus a flash of inspiration. This takes years to acquire (except the last!).

Likes Mzzed
Yeah I realize I cannot learn this level of advanced chemistry overnight but I was just looking for a general path to wonder down until I eventually start understanding their explanations. Thanks, I'll definitely make sure I try and work my way towards the topics you mentioned!

For something simpler, along similar lines, photosynthesis involves the following reaction: ## CO_2+H_2 O ==>> CH_2 O+O_2 ##. ## \\ ## (## CH_2 O ## is the carbohydrate building block). ## \\ ## Meanwhile, if we try mixing ## CO_2 ## and water without all the complicated processes in photosynthesis, we simply get sugarless soda pop =(carbonated water without any sugar/carbohydrate): ## CO_2+H_2 O ==>> HCO_3^{-}+H^{+} ##. (## CO_2 ## dissolved in water plus carbonic acid). ## \\ ## As far as I know, they haven't succeeded at performing the photosynthesis reaction in the laboratory.

Last edited:
Likes Mzzed
Ygggdrasil said:
@Ygggdrasil Thank you. From a quick review of these articles, it appears the process has been accomplished, but they presently are unable to do it on a large scale. Some of the successes in the research are very current. From the looks of things, the on-going research is quite active and also very promising.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
@Ygggdrasil Thank you. From a quick review of these articles, it appears the process has been accomplished, but they presently are unable to do it on a large scale. Some of the successes in the research are very current. From the looks of things, the on-going research is quite active and also very promising.

Yes, it's a very active area of research though anything commercializable at a larger scale is still probably far away.

Likes Mzzed and Charles Link

1. What is carbon dioxide?

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a colorless and odorless gas that is naturally present in the Earth's atmosphere. It is a compound made up of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms.

2. How is carbon dioxide broken down?

Carbon dioxide can be broken down through a process called photosynthesis, in which plants absorb CO2 from the air and use it to produce oxygen and glucose. It can also be broken down through chemical reactions or by microorganisms in the soil.

3. Why is breaking down carbon dioxide important?

Breaking down carbon dioxide is important because it helps to balance the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. Too much CO2 can contribute to global warming and climate change, so breaking it down helps to mitigate these effects.

4. Can humans break down carbon dioxide?

Humans do not have the ability to break down carbon dioxide on their own. However, we can indirectly contribute to the breakdown of CO2 by supporting processes like photosynthesis through planting trees and reducing our carbon emissions.

5. What are the potential benefits of breaking down carbon dioxide?

The potential benefits of breaking down carbon dioxide include reducing the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, helping to mitigate the effects of climate change, and promoting a healthier environment for both humans and other living organisms.