Extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds

In summary, the author is researching high heating value fuels with carbon-hydrogen ratios of 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, and 1/8. These fuels are unstable and short-lived, but may be useful if produced in quantity.
James Essig
TL;DR Summary
I am interested in prospects for extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds as rocket fuels.
I am doing some theoretical free-lance work on prospects of chemical rocket fuels with unusually high heating values and specific impulses.
One of my latest interests is prospects for using fuels with molecules made of one carbon atom and 5 or more hydrogen atoms. Specific examples I am interested in are compounds of one carbon atom and 5, 6, 7, or 8 hydrogen atoms.

I am aware of methane which consists of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms and how the heating value of this compound is on the order of 60 megajoules per kilogram while diatomic hydrogen has an upper heating value on the order of 160 megajoules per kilogram.

I was curious if anyone can provide me estimates of heating values of any possible ultra-hydrogenated carbon compounds with a carbon to hydrogen atom ratio of 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, and 1/8. Also, if such compounds ordinarily are too unstable and short lived to be useful according to contemporary chemical production methods, that would be good to know also.

Thanks;

Jim

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The compounds in question are unstable and do not exist for more than a tiny fraction of a second.

Likes ChemAir
If you intend to do work on this subject, I would strongly suggest you look at a basic liquid fuel book, like "Ignition!, an Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants", by John Drury Clark, which has been recently re-published. The list of "stuff" that has been burned in unusual combinations is pretty extensive. It may give you some new directions to look toward, if you haven't already read it or are otherwise familiar with the content.

There is a ton of information in there about the different tracks that were taken and what was learned, and in many cases, why research in that area was stopped. There is also some research that is left to the future. The final conclusion is a little dated, however.

This book is basic, but requires some chemistry background for good perspective. For new propellants, I'd concentrate on materials that can actually be produced in quantity that are stable for useful storage.

Likes TeethWhitener
A million times yes! This book is such a gem, both for its info and for the painfully and hilariously accurate portrayal of how professional science is actually done.

Love it too!

What are extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds?

Extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds, also known as super hydrogenated carbon compounds, are molecules that contain a high number of hydrogen atoms bonded to carbon atoms. This results in a high ratio of hydrogen to carbon, making them highly saturated.

What are some examples of extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds?

Some examples of extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds include alkanes, cycloalkanes, and diamond. These molecules have a high number of carbon-hydrogen bonds, resulting in a high degree of saturation.

What properties do extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds have?

Extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds tend to be very stable and unreactive due to their high degree of saturation. They also have high melting and boiling points, as well as a high density.

What are the uses of extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds?

Extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds have a variety of uses, including as lubricants, insulation materials, and as components in plastics and rubber. They are also used in the production of fuels, such as gasoline and diesel.

What are the potential hazards of extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds?

While extremely hydrogenated carbon compounds are generally considered safe and non-toxic, some studies have shown that they may have negative effects on the environment and human health. For example, some of these compounds can contribute to air pollution and may be harmful if ingested or inhaled in large quantities.