Breaking tension, and a weight component

In summary, the first question is asking for the maximum speed a 1.31kg mass attached to a light string can have on a horizontal, frictionless table with a given radius of 0.402m before the string breaks. The attempted solution involved using the equation v=sq rt(Tr/m), but the assignment marked it as incorrect. The second question is asking for clarification on the use of the equation mgsin(theta) and what Mg in the picture represents, which is a megagram equal to 1000kg.
Michael805
I have 2 questions, here is the first:

Homework Statement

A 1.31kg mass attached to a light string rotates on a horizontal, frictionless table. The radius of the circle is 0.402m, and the string can support a mass of 34.6kg before breaking.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8ms^2.
What maximum speed can the mass have before the string breaks? Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
m(v^2/r) > T

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging numbers into the equation v=sq rt(Tr/m), or sq rt((34.6)(.402)/1.31), which is sq rt(~10.61770992) or ~3.26. The assignment said this was wrong (it's online), so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

My next question is this:

sy42op.jpg

I'm pretty sure the equation to solve this is mgsin(theta), but I'm not sure what Mg in the picture is. I've tried both (Mg)(g)(sin(theta)) and just Mg(sin(theta)), but neither have been right. So, I'm wondering what exactly Mg is supposed to be? Or if I'm just using the wrong equation for the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael805 said:
I have 2 questions, here is the first:

Homework Statement

A 1.31kg mass attached to a light string rotates on a horizontal, frictionless table. The radius of the circle is 0.402m, and the string can support a mass of 34.6kg before breaking.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8ms^2.
What maximum speed can the mass have before the string breaks? Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

a=v^2/r
m(v^2/r) > T

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging numbers into the equation v=sq rt(Tr/m), or sq rt((34.6)(.402)/1.31), which is sq rt(~10.61770992) or ~3.26. The assignment said this was wrong (it's online), so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

My next question is this:

I'm pretty sure the equation to solve this is mgsin(theta), but I'm not sure what Mg in the picture is. I've tried both (Mg)(g)(sin(theta)) and just Mg(sin(theta)), but neither have been right. So, I'm wondering what exactly Mg is supposed to be? Or if I'm just using the wrong equation for the problem.

Thanks for the help.

In 1) the force it breaks at is 34.6kg*(9.8) N. They only gave you mass.

In 2) Mg is megagram is 1000kg

LowlyPion said:
In 1) the force it breaks at is 34.6kg*(9.8) N. They only gave you mass.

In 2) Mg is megagram is 1000kg

Correct on both accounts, thank you very much. :)

1. What is breaking tension?

Breaking tension is the amount of force or stress that can cause a material to break or fail. It is also known as tensile strength and is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

2. How does breaking tension affect materials?

Breaking tension is an important factor in determining the durability and reliability of materials. If a material has a high breaking tension, it can withstand a greater amount of force before breaking or failing. On the other hand, a material with a low breaking tension may not be able to withstand as much stress and is more likely to fail under pressure.

3. What factors can affect breaking tension?

The breaking tension of a material can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of material, its composition, and its manufacturing process. For example, different types of metal have different breaking tensions due to variations in their atomic structure and bonding. Similarly, the way a material is processed and formed can also impact its breaking tension.

4. What is the weight component in relation to breaking tension?

The weight component refers to the gravitational force acting on an object. In the context of breaking tension, the weight component is important because it adds to the overall stress on a material. For example, a heavy object suspended from a rope will increase the tension on the rope and may cause it to break if the breaking tension is exceeded.

5. How is breaking tension measured and tested?

Breaking tension is typically measured using specialized equipment, such as a tensile testing machine. This machine applies a controlled amount of force to a material until it breaks, allowing researchers to accurately determine its breaking tension. Other methods of testing breaking tension may include destructive testing, where a material is subjected to various stresses until it fails, or non-destructive testing, which uses methods such as ultrasound or X-rays to analyze the material's properties without damaging it.