Brian Greene picture book for young people (Icarus)

In summary, the book "Icarus at the Edge of Time" is a futuristic retelling of the Icarus fable and falls under the category of juvenile science fiction. It follows a fourteen year old genius boy who rebels against his father and explores a black hole using a warp-drive vehicle he built himself. The book features stunning images from the Hubble Space Telescope and is set to be released on September 2, 2008. While not a recommendation, it is expected to receive attention due to the celebrity author and its incorporation of science content.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The book's graphic designer Chip Kidd has sample pages.
The book uses public domain pictures from the Hubble Space Telescope collection.
http://www.goodisdead.com/index.php?/work/entry/icarus_at_the_edge_of_time_2008_interiors/
By clicking on sample pages at the above link, you get larger versions where you can read the text, giving an idea of what the story is and who might like to read it. Futuristic retelling of Icarus fable.

The category is juvenile science fiction.
A fourteen year old genius boy rebels against his father and sneaks out of their spaceship home (using a special warp-drive vehicle he has built himelf) to explore a black hole.

The book is scheduled to go on sale 2 September 2008.

This is not a recommendation but rather an advance notice heads-up. We will be hearing about this in the next few weeks because it is by a celebrity author and illustrated with gorgeous HST public domain images. There is some science content.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Anytime you can get the youth interested in science is a bonus to society.

I am excited to hear about this new book by Brian Greene, titled "Icarus at the Edge of Time". It is always encouraging to see efforts being made to engage young people in science and exploration, and this book seems to do just that.

The use of public domain images from the Hubble Space Telescope collection is a great way to introduce young readers to the wonders of our universe. These images are not only visually stunning, but also provide a scientific basis for the story. It is important for young minds to understand the real science behind the fictional elements in the book.

The story itself, a futuristic retelling of the Icarus fable, is a clever way to teach important lessons about curiosity and the consequences of recklessness. I am sure that young readers will be drawn in by the rebellious protagonist and his adventures.

I am also impressed by the involvement of graphic designer Chip Kidd in the creation of this book. The sample pages on the website show a beautiful and engaging design, which will surely add to the overall reading experience.

Overall, I believe this book has great potential to inspire young readers and spark their interest in science and space exploration. I look forward to its release and hope that it will be well-received by both children and adults alike.

1. What age range is the "Brian Greene picture book for young people (Icarus)" geared towards?

The book is primarily geared towards children between the ages of 8-12, but can also be enjoyed by younger or older children.

2. Is the book scientifically accurate?

Yes, the book is based on the scientific concepts of space, gravity, and the story of Icarus, as explained by renowned physicist Brian Greene. The illustrations and text have been carefully reviewed by scientists to ensure accuracy.

3. Is the book appropriate for classroom use?

Yes, the book is a great addition to any classroom science curriculum, as it presents complex ideas in a fun and engaging way. It also includes a glossary and further reading section for additional learning.

4. What makes this book different from other science books for children?

This book is unique in that it combines a well-known Greek myth with scientific concepts, making it both entertaining and educational. It also features beautiful illustrations and explanations from a renowned physicist.

5. Can adults also enjoy reading this book?

Absolutely! While the book is geared towards children, the engaging storytelling and beautiful illustrations make it enjoyable for readers of all ages. Adults will also appreciate the scientific accuracy and explanations provided by Brian Greene.