Brief and physics-oriented (?) resource for PDEs

In summary, the speaker is interested in learning about common solution techniques, types of boundary conditions, and Green's functions for PDEs. They are looking for recommended lecture notes or problem sets, and the conversation provides several suggestions including Nearing's free text, books from Springer, and Farlow's book. They also mention the importance of topics like Fourier analysis and suggest resources such as Bracewell's "Fourier Transform and its Applications" and Greenberg's "Applications of Green's Functions." Lastly, the conversation recommends A. Sommerfeld's "Lectures on Theoretical Physics" and Samuel Gralla's YouTube lectures as excellent resources for learning about PDEs.
etotheipi
Hey, I realized there are some parts (okay, a lot of parts) of Physics that I can't learn more about until I actually get a bit of practice solving PDEs. I'll cover it 'properly' next year but for now I'm just interested to learn about the most common solution techniques, types of boundary conditions, Green's functions and all that stuff.

If there are some decent lecture notes or problem sets available online that anyone can vouch for, that'd be neat. Nothing that you think would be far too difficult, please :wink:. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes fluidistic
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Nearing's chapter on separation of variables looks nice.

There's a lot of content available on PDEs and the tricky thing for me is to try and figure out what's worth spending my time on

I would suggest choosing a few PDE you know and love and then beating them to death with each technique. For the big picture `I am a fan of Schaum's outlines in general but don't know specifically for PDE

Likes jasonRF and etotheipi
I think I understand - there really are a lot of treatments available. I listed the online resources I knew since libraries and such are less available these days.

The easiest text to learn PDEs from that I am aware of is the one by Farlow:
Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers (Dover Books on Mathematics): Stanley J. Farlow: 8601234581253: Amazon.com: Books
It is not free, but it is not expensive. The first section on the heat equation introduces you to separation of variables and integral transform techniques, which you will see over and over in applications. Lesson 9 uses eigenfunction expansions to solve non-homogenous equations, which is one standard way of deriving Green's functions. The book does not cover some of the theory that is important (eg Sturm-Liouville theory is briefly covered in a short comment) but your upcoming class should include the theory you need.

Note that the graduate level "mathematical physics" book by Hassani I linked is not easy reading and probably not the best choice, but it does include a lot on Green's functions. Not all undergraduate treatments include that topic.

jason

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
Your going to be taught standard PDE’s. I would suggest looking at a couple of adjacent topics, Fourier analysis and green’s functions that are commonly not taught in depth.

I have used these, but I am not sure if these are the best references
Bracewell Fourier Transform and its Applications (it is affordable used)
Greenberg applications of green’s functions (dover)

This popped up when I was looking for the references so I cannot speak to it’s quality
Bell Special Functions for Scientists and Engineers (dover)
Here you would learning about the properties of the solutions to various PDE’s

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF and etotheipi
Nice, thanks everyone :smile:

Likes berkeman
As anything by Sommerfeld,

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 6 (Partial Differential Equations),

but particularly this volume of his lectures, is a masterpiece.

Likes etotheipi
Likes etotheipi

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is a brief and physics-oriented resource for PDEs important?

A brief and physics-oriented resource for PDEs is important because it provides a concise and focused overview of the key concepts and applications of PDEs in the context of physics. This can be especially useful for students or researchers who need a quick reference or review of PDEs in their field.

3. What are some common applications of PDEs in physics?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in physics, including modeling heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. They are also commonly used in the study of wave phenomena, such as sound and light.

4. How are PDEs solved?

PDEs can be solved using a variety of methods, including analytical techniques, numerical methods, and computer simulations. The specific approach used will depend on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to using PDEs in physics?

While PDEs are a powerful tool for describing physical phenomena, they do have some limitations. They may not be able to accurately model certain complex systems or phenomena, and their solutions may be sensitive to small changes in initial conditions. Additionally, some PDEs may not have analytical solutions and require numerical methods to solve.