Solid State NMR and X-ray Crystallography resources

In summary, the conversation is asking for assistance in understanding the theory and practical application of Solid State NMR and X-ray Crystallography in determining molecular structures. The person asking for help is an undergraduate physics student and needs this information for their final exam. They are also looking for useful resources such as papers, lectures, and books. The other person responding asks for more details on the specific structures the student needs to know in order to provide helpful resources.
hbarSquared
Hello,
I need to learn how Solid State NMR and X-ray Crystallography work (theory and practical application). I'm primary interested in how those experimental techniques are used to determine molecular structures.
I'm an undergrad physics student and I need this to pass my final exam.
So if some of you have some useful resources (papers, lectures, books) that can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it if you could link them below.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

Bump. I need info on these topics as well.

It hugely depends on the level of Detail you need to know. What structures exactly? small molecules? materials? Biomolecules? Why solid state nmr and no solution state? This will help me to point you to stuff which contain what you need and not too much.

1. What is the difference between solid state NMR and X-ray crystallography?

Both solid state NMR and X-ray crystallography are techniques used to study the atomic and molecular structure of materials. The main difference is that solid state NMR uses nuclear magnetic resonance to analyze the structure, while X-ray crystallography uses X-rays to determine the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice.

2. How are solid state NMR and X-ray crystallography used in scientific research?

Solid state NMR and X-ray crystallography are powerful tools in the fields of chemistry, materials science, and biochemistry. They are commonly used to study the structure, composition, and dynamics of materials at the atomic level, providing valuable insights into the properties and behavior of various substances.

3. What types of materials can be studied using solid state NMR and X-ray crystallography?

Both techniques can be applied to a wide range of materials, including inorganic compounds, organic molecules, proteins, and polymers. Solid state NMR is particularly useful for studying materials that are not soluble in solution, while X-ray crystallography is often used to analyze crystalline materials.

4. What are some common resources for solid state NMR and X-ray crystallography?

There are many resources available for solid state NMR and X-ray crystallography, including specialized instruments, software, and databases. Some common resources include the National Magnetic Resonance Facility at Madison, the Cambridge Structural Database, and the Protein Data Bank.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of solid state NMR and X-ray crystallography?

The main advantage of solid state NMR is its ability to study materials in their natural solid state, without the need for solvents or other preparations. X-ray crystallography, on the other hand, provides highly detailed structural information and is particularly useful for determining the arrangement of atoms in crystalline materials. However, both techniques have limitations, such as the requirement for high-quality samples and the inability to study materials that are not in a solid state.