Broken Symmetries (Weinberg p215)

In summary, the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula states that any finite element of a group G can be written as a product of two elements g_1=exp[i\xi_ax_a] and g_2=exp[i\theta_i t_i], even if the generators t_i and x_a do not commute. This is possible because the parameters in the exponential expressions can be transformed into complicated functions of the original ones.
Final
Hi...
A group G is proken to a subgroup H. Let [tex] t_{\alpha} [/tex] the generator of G and
[tex]t_i[/tex] the generator of H. The t_i form a subalgebra. Take the x_a to be the other indipendent generator of G.
Why any finite element of G may be expressed in the form [tex]g=exp[i\xi_ax_a]exp[i\theta_i t_i][/tex] even if [tex][t_i,x_a]\neq0[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff_formula" says that
[tex]\exp[i\xi_a x_a]\exp[i\theta_i t_i] = \exp[i\tilde\xi_a x_a + i\tilde\theta_i t_i][/tex]
where the new parameters are complicated functions of the old ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final said:
Hi...
A group G is proken to a subgroup H. Let [tex] t_{\alpha} [/tex] the generator of G and
[tex]t_i[/tex] the generator of H. The t_i form a subalgebra. Take the x_a to be the other indipendent generator of G.
Why any finite element of G may be expressed in the form [tex]g=exp[i\xi_ax_a]exp[i\theta_i t_i][/tex] even if [tex][t_i,x_a]\neq0[/tex]?

By definition of a group, you can always write the product of two group elements as a third group element. That's all there is to it.

nrqed said:
By definition of a group, you can always write the product of two group elements as a third group element. That's all there is to it.

I don't understand... My problem is to express a generic element of the group [tex]g=exp[i\xi_ax_a+i\theta_i t_i][/tex] as the product of 2 element of the form
[tex]g_1=exp[i\xi_ax_a] \ g_2=exp[i\theta_i t_i][/tex].

Thank you

Related to Broken Symmetries (Weinberg p215)

What is the concept of broken symmetries in the context of Weinberg p215?

Broken symmetries refer to the idea that the laws of physics may not exhibit perfect symmetry at all scales. In other words, certain physical phenomena may behave differently at different scales or in different directions, breaking the expected symmetry.

What is the significance of broken symmetries in physics?

The concept of broken symmetries has played a crucial role in the development of modern physics. It has helped explain the behavior of fundamental particles and has led to the discovery of new particles, such as the Higgs boson. It also has implications for our understanding of the origins of the universe.

How do broken symmetries relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is based on the principle of gauge symmetry, which states that the laws of physics should be invariant under certain transformations. However, the phenomenon of broken symmetries allows for the inclusion of mass and other important properties of particles, making the Standard Model more comprehensive and accurate.

Can broken symmetries be observed in everyday life?

Yes, broken symmetries can be observed in everyday life through various physical phenomena. For example, the asymmetry between matter and antimatter, the different properties of left-handed and right-handed particles, and the phenomenon of magnetism are all examples of broken symmetries.

Are there any unresolved questions or controversies surrounding broken symmetries?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing debates surrounding the concept of broken symmetries. Some of these include the exact mechanism of symmetry breaking, the role of broken symmetries in the early universe, and the potential for new physics beyond the Standard Model.